Samhain's 90 Gallon Reef

Nothing really new in the tank to report, other than one melted acan and one partially melted acan. I also accidentally left my RO/DI on going into my WC mixing tub when I went to work on Thursday, and came home to about 30 gallons of water soaked into my carpet. Grrrr...............Neo is doing great, as are Lily and Onyx.

I got the 90 gallon CUC from reefcleaners, and they do alright. I think I may actually need a larger crew than what I have, but i'm also battling nitrates and phosphates, so more may not make a difference until I get those down.............

Nothing really new in the tank to report, other than one melted acan and one partially melted acan. I also accidentally left my RO/DI on going into my WC mixing tub when I went to work on Thursday, and came home to about 30 gallons of water soaked into my carpet. Grrrr...............Neo is doing great, as are Lily and Onyx.

No one gets through this hobby without any floods :) just part of the joys of reefing

I got the 90 gallon CUC from reefcleaners, and they do alright. I think I may actually need a larger crew than what I have, but i'm also battling nitrates and phosphates, so more may not make a difference until I get those down.............
What extra would you add? because I stirred up my sand my nitrates are thru the roof right now too. I dont have a phospates tester yet. Getting it in the next week.

I may consider adding a turbo crew. And maybe some other types ofof snails, like astraea and bumble bee. Hermits do great at nomming up algae, but they also do great at slaughtering the snails, so i'm not sure I really want to add those guys again.......

add some empty shells into the tank ranging in sizs, that should cut back on the hermits killing your snails. they normally do so to hijack their bigger shells.

Nah. I had shells littering my 50 gallon. They would even kill the snails smaller than they were. And it wasn't even like they were hungry. There was plenty of food in the tank, but they would just randomly rip the snails out of their shells and gobble them. I'm not seeing it happening as much in the larger tank, but then again, there are lots of nooks and crannies in the rocks for the hermits and snails to escape my prying eyes......

Well, I made the jump into the tang world. LiveAquaria listed a limited supply of Lemonpeel Mimic Tangs this morning, and I sat and debated with myself back and forth all morning. Finally I decided to go ahead and get one, and to my surprise, I got the last one they had! Or at least, I think I did. I checked back on the listing just to verify size after I completed the purchase, and they were listed as out of stock again. I also picked up a green Devil's Hand in the same order. They should both be here Friday!

Well, I made the jump into the tang world. LiveAquaria listed a limited supply of Lemonpeel Mimic Tangs this morning, and I sat and debated with myself back and forth all morning. Finally I decided to go ahead and get one, and to my surprise, I got the last one they had! Or at least, I think I did. I checked back on the listing just to verify size after I completed the purchase, and they were listed as out of stock again. I also picked up a green Devil's Hand in the same order. They should both be here Friday!

Congratulations!! :Cheers: I knew this one was on your list and wasn't sure if you were signed up for the email alerts for this one, so glad to hear you got it! Now I can't wait to hear how it does. This one (and the bristletooth) are further down on my list, so I'll probably be adding one next fall. Fingers crossed s/he does great in your tank :D

Just make sure they aren't a super-seasonal item. Some fish are only available at certain times of the year, making it difficult to work around if you are determined to stock your tank in a particular order. I'm running into this with the white tail bristletooth. It's super rare, seasonal, and not often collected during that season. That's one I may just have to wait to add and hope there aren't aggression issues between tangs........

Just make sure they aren't a super-seasonal item. Some fish are only available at certain times of the year, making it difficult to work around if you are determined to stock your tank in a particular order. I'm running into this with the white tail bristletooth. It's super rare, seasonal, and not often collected during that season. That's one I may just have to wait to add and hope there aren't aggression issues between tangs........

Yeah, I am worried about that, which is why I decided to get myself on the email list for both in order to see how often they become available. Fortunately both are listed as peaceful so hopefully you (and I) won't have too much trouble with aggression if they are added at different times. Have you found out what time of year the bristletooth is available/collected? There is a lot of play room in my stocking list to move order around if I need to, I'd just would like to wait until there are at least 3-4 other fish in the tank before adding one of the tangs.

I haven't figured out when they get collected, but apparently it isn't during the northern hemisphere's winter! In other news, with several large water changes (and a large flood on my carpet) nitrates are down to 5the and phosphates are at 0.25. Still not excellent on either level, but a heck of a lot better than they were. I ended up losing one acan colony, but my favorite one is bouncing back.

So sad. :( I was notified by LA that they accidentally took too many orders for the Lemonpeel Mimic Tang, so I won't be getting one tomorrow. However, true to LA's exemplary customer service, they are keeping the order open for two weeks. If, during those two weeks, they receive more tangs, They will notify me and send one out with no extra shipping charges. If, at the end of those two weeks, they still haven't received more tangs, I have the option to extend the order another week, or choose something else with free shipping. If I choose to extend the order another week and they STILL haven't gotten the tangs in, then they will just have me choose something else with free shipping. And until whatever the item is ships, they aren't charging me for that either. So for now, I'm just going to be getting the Devil's Hand Leather.. And I will definitely be keeping the order open for the full three weeks if necessary (unless they get in the white tail bristletooth, of course!). And if I don't get my tang, then I'm sure I'll be able to find something else in the incredible LA repertoire to bring home with free shipping......

I have a coral! It just showed up! Sad that my fish isn't here too, but I'm thrilled about my coral. It's one I've wanted for a long while. Pics after it's out of the bag!

Back