sand bed and sump questions

anthonyjmorale

Reefing newb
hey guys.After reading on here the last few days i decided i have to make some big changes to my tank. i want to change my crushed coral out to sand. on the bag it says 1 pound of sand for every gallon. when i did that with the crushed coral it was way to much. also i found a calculator on the internet that says if i want a 1inch sand bed i would only need 40lbs of sand. Is a one inch sand bed enough?

i also have a canister filter that i want to change out for a sump/fuge . i have been doing alot of reading. does anyone on here have a 75 gallon tank with a sump. if so can u send some info my way. im using a coralife 125 that i would have to fit in there.

I switched out my crushed coral for sand. I had about 25 pounds of crushed coral and ended up using 50 pounds of sand to get the same depth. With that I would guess I have a little over an inch, maybe inch and a half. I dont think 40 pounds in a 75 will be enough, but it depends on how deep you want it. I used aragonite sand..

1 pound per gallon will give you about a 1" sandbed.

The general rule is 1-2 pounds per gallon which will create a 1"-2" sandbed.

Crushed coral is terrible for a reef system because of the nutrients it leeches. It an affect a wide range of water parameters from alkalinity to pH.

As for the sump, they say about 10%-20% usually. It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want a fuge in it (definitely a good idea) maybe go with a 20 gallon long tank? This would give you a decent amount of room. Of course, you could always go bigger if you have the space and the increased water volume will definitely help you out!

Sand particles are smaller and more densely packed than crushed coral particles. You will need more sand (by weight) to make a 1" sandbed than you would need of crushed coral to make a 1" bed of crushed coral.

I agree i had crush and everything was high so i switched to sand and like my nitrates and stuff are very low actually 0 for nitrates.

Back