Sand Fleas?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I went down to the beach today and collected a bunch of "sand fleas" and put them in my 10 gallon QT (no-longer QT) tank. I thought I could breed them and feed them to my fish. Is that safe? They are just pods right?

Well, they haven't drowned yet ;)
I searched "sand fleas" online, and there are articles saying that they are parasitic and that they eat the flesh off of fish. I thought they were harmless pods...:question:

They look like this:
mole_crab2.jpg

I would just pass on them, in that case. Unless you have no doubt that they are safe, they probably shouldn't go in your tank.

Here in Cali we call them sand crabs. They typically live in the sand but come out as a wave rolls up the beach, scattering and then digging back into the sand. Not sure how they would be in a reef tank though.

If they are tiny flea sized then they are no good. If they are bigger like the size of a dime then maybe they could survive. Youd have to research them though.

I looked them up a bit. We have sand crabs at the beach called the Pacific Sand Crab or Mole Crab
(Emerita analoga).

I usually can easily catch one at the water line and hold it in my hand. They are big, about the size of a dime.

Then there are sand fleas which are bad news. I think I have seen them swarming on kelp on the beach and mistook them for nats. They are tiny little devils from what I read. Parasitic amphipods.They bite anything within 10" of the ground (ankles). Their larvae feed on fish. I had trouble finding a consistent pic.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm pretty sure they're harmless, but it's not worth the risk. I think for right now I'll just keep researching them, and watch them swim/dig around in the 10 gallon. They're surprisingly fun to watch. :sfish:

i would like to know if these guys are harmless as well. my little brother found one at galveston and brought it home and put it in his fish tank. its moving around and burying in the sand.
should i get him to remove it?

What you have there is a sand crab and they WILL eat the flesh off of your fish. We feed them dead fish at the AQ and thats exactly what they do. Plus they don't breed like copes do so you wouldn't be able to get them breeding anyways... I'd say just take them back to the beach and let them go... They will try to dig until they are completely buired... if there isn't enough sand for em they'll stress out and die :C

The pictures attached is a sand flea... they basically bite the crap outta you and eat fish flesh too LOL. I avoid them at all costs... i just happen to find that guy crawling around in my towel after surfin in carmel and had to ask what it was... turned out it was a sand flea :p

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,337
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,515
  • Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,935
  • Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 7,570
they are sand sifting crabs,i had some in my tank,you can but them online,they are safe for your tank,i never had any problems with mine,they prefer fine sand though

I have had the one you showed in the first picture saltwater. And ive kept them with the only problem being you need moderately cold water

They look like this:
mole_crab2.jpg

I've seen a gazillion that look exactly like those on the east coast too.

Anytime you take something directly from the ocean and put it in your tank you are taking a huge risk that you will introduce parasites or something harmful.

You also get into the "invasive species" issue. What lives in limited numbers on the temperate coast of the USA may go berserk and start killing in your tank that simulates an Indonesian or Caribbean reef.

I've seen a gazillion that look exactly like those on the east coast too.

Anytime you take something directly from the ocean and put it in your tank you are taking a huge risk that you will introduce parasites or something harmful.

You also get into the "invasive species" issue. What lives in limited numbers on the temperate coast of the USA may go berserk and start killing in your tank that simulates an Indonesian or Caribbean reef.

We have those here in Southern California! They're fun little guys to try to catch at the beach. They scurry through the sand in your hands and tickle your palms. Lots of memories seeing how many we could "catch" when I was little. But we always set them free at the end of the afternoon. :)

Back