Sand is not settling

benga

Reefing newb
i have a problem with my sand, I just put my sand into a new tank and its just foggy as heck and it's been about 3 days. What should i do now? I used this sand

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocean-Bio-Activ-Live-Aragonite/dp/B0019FARGM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349910259&sr=8-3&keywords=reef+sand]Amazon.com: Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Thanks

That's fine. My sand, when I first put it in, made my tank cloudy for a week or 2, with no end in sight. Then one day, it was crystal clear. Do you have a skimmer? It should be skimming like crazy.

Before I knew better I had a tank that I put the sand in after the water.....Was soup. Since I didnt want to wait forever I grabbed a hob filter I had laying around and hooked it to the tank...It started to work so I went looking in my boxes of tank stuff and found two more pos hob filters. In the end I had three hob filters on the tank getting the stuff out of the water. Looked really funny to be honest but a day and a half later my tank was clear and I took them off. Looking back at it if I had rinsed the filter cartridges out would have been even faster. Worked for me :twocents:

I rinsed all my sand out a LOT before putting it into the 125g. So now, even if the sand gets kicked up, there are no particles :)

I rinsed all my sand out a LOT before putting it into the 125g. So now, even if the sand gets kicked up, there are no particles :)

So my skimmer just came in and i hooked it up but like i dont know exactly what ishould be looking for. I get fine bubbles and if i turn it on max a bunch of water will go into the top container. That's not supposed to happen right? So for now ihave it on low and nothing is going into the top until i find out what i should be doing. Maybe its in the breaking in period.

I got the Coralife Super skimmer 65g

What you want is for the bubbles to be about 1.5 inches below the opening where your water is spilling out. Skimmers have a break in period of a few days, just leave it run. Eventually the bubbles should turn to foam, and should fill your skimmer cup every few days.

Before I knew better I had a tank that I put the sand in after the water.....Was soup. Since I didnt want to wait forever I grabbed a hob filter I had laying around and hooked it to the tank...It started to work so I went looking in my boxes of tank stuff and found two more pos hob filters. In the end I had three hob filters on the tank getting the stuff out of the water. Looked really funny to be honest but a day and a half later my tank was clear and I took them off. Looking back at it if I had rinsed the filter cartridges out would have been even faster. Worked for me :twocents:

That's what i was thinking of doing too but i gave my hob filters away before i thought of it...I might have to improvise haha

When you rinsed it, did you use salt water or just regular water?

What you want is for the bubbles to be about 1.5 inches below the opening where your water is spilling out. Skimmers have a break in period of a few days, just leave it run. Eventually the bubbles should turn to foam, and should fill your skimmer cup every few days.

Took me a while to get it working perfectly, now its going crazy skimming a bunch of brown stuff. thanks! Also does it matter how deep in the water the intake pump is for the skimmer?

Back