Sand on Corals

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
So how do you guys keep sand from getting on your corals, I usually blow sand off of my brains atleast 1 time a day, I mean its not a lot but still. I really want to get a plate coral but would the sand bother it ??? would I be able to place it on rocks ??

What is causing the sand to get air-borne?

I had that issue too with my Goby. Every water change I would syphon out the fine sand that would get blown around (Off the coral, off the rocks... ) that and a filter sock seemed to do the trick.

I dont have any more issues with this.

-Good Luck

Yeah it mostly my sand sifting goby also. But i also know now that next time im going with alittle more corse sand.

i had a sand sifting goby for 1 day and brought him back to the pet store he put sand all over my coral , never had a problem since, i now have a sand sifting star and some naussarius snails to clean the sand.

My watchman dumps sand on a few of my corals all the time. He seems to particularly like dumping on the australomussa and one of my chalices. I think it really has to do with placement. My watchman has a few particular places he spends the most time in, and corals in those areas get dumped on. Not sure if it would be the same with your goby or not. I usually just blow off the pile of sand with a long feeding tube that I picked up to spot feed corals. I think a plate would be okay - they have the capability to really puff up and can use that to get the sand off of them if they are desparate.

Yeah my goby decided to plant it self right in the back behind the corals under a small rock he made its home, So yeah those are the corals that get sand on them. I really love my Dimond goby and he does a great job with my sand so im not going to get rid of him for a little sand. No big deal with the brains but that's why I was asking about placing the plate coral on rock couse there thin and will get covered over pretty easily.

I have a helmet coral (multi-eyed plate) placed on a pretty flat rock that seems to like that spot quite a bit. I would think if you could find a pretty flat spot for the plate it would be okay on a rock that was low down in the tank, or find a space on the sandbed that is away from the spot your goby has made home.

Back