Sand or no sand?

C24IaHawks1

Reef Lover
I have had my reef tank set up for two months now. I have 65 pounds of Marshall Island Live rock. my phosphates keep flucuating but not too high. would it help to filter my tank with live sand? The owner of the fidh store said i shouldn't have sand on the bottom...any suggestions?

sand or bare bottom tanks are really your decision, because unless you plan on having a deep sand bed (4-8 inches) then the live sand doesnt really make that much of a difference

Dustins right.1/2 to 1" of sand looks good and dont make any difference in water parameters.A 4 to 8" sand bed will help keep nitrates down.
Personally,I like to think that my tank looks fairly natural,at least what I think would look natural.And I highly doubt that a wild reef has a bare glass bottom.
If you want sand to actually work,then add about 6" of sand.Just dont disturb it once it gets established and you'll be fine.

I also agree with everyone, but it's actually a choice, most reef keepers have sand in their tanks...are you sure he was referring to sand or crushed coral, because crushed coral is a huge no-no...

I love sand, however on the other hand after having hair algae and cyano cover some of my sand causing me to pull out clumps of sand I am considering a bare bottom for my next tank just because it is easier to clean crap out of the tank. I would however miss my sand dwellers.

i would cut the bag and drain some water out put the bag in the water and let it all come out slow. but it would be good to rinse the sand first to help keep the dust down

I've added sand by using the soda bottle method. All you do is cut the bottom of a 2 liter bottle. Keep the cap on. Fill the bottle with sand. Slowly lower into the water. Unscrew lid. Sllowly move around tank. Works great as long as you do it slowly.

I added 60 pounds of live sand yesterday...did not work out the way i wanted, but once the dust cleared and i put the rocks that fell back in place it looks like the ocean floor. Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Back