Sand Sand SAND!!!!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I decided to just start a new thread for my sand thoughts/questions so here it is.

I am most likely going to get my sand from Pet Solutions but they have so many I don't know which is better or are they all the same.

If you go to the site and go to fish and then live rock and sand it only shows one but if you type in "SAND" in the search box they have a ton.

Any suggestions? I want a smooth light beige look like a beach not dark.

Now here is the sand stuff I was looking at.

After looking through the different sands I was thinking of mixing 2 of them.

The Ocean Direct Caribbean and the Seaflor Aragonite Reef

I also like the Carib Sea Aragonite Reef and the Caribsea Figi Pink Aragalive

My idea was to put the Figi Pink on the top but only to the sides and some up by the front to have a more bump effect so it isn't all silky looking but also not all chunky looking.

You know give it some personality I suppose. I mean why not make it part of the aquascape that people work hard to do.

Last edited:
I really dont know much about the sands that you are looking at but, i did originally want to go with the pink as well and i was told you wont see the pink once its in your tank.

I am more interested in the texture of it. I didn't even see pink in that photo haha must not have even paid attention.

I think what will happen over time is the finest sand particles will be on the bottom, and the more course stuff will be on top. Which is why most people just go with one grade of sand.

Depending on your lighting, Figi Pink varies from pink to tan in your tank. If you are mixing sand types, try to keep it the same granular size because the finer granuals will eventually work themselves in the bigger base sand and not be seen anyway

You should also becareful not to pick too fine a grain of sand because your powerheads can cause a sand storm in your tank.

You should also becareful not to pick too fine a grain of sand because your powerheads can cause a sand storm in your tank.

Wouldn't that be a hurricane :mrgreen:
My powerhead shifts the sand around in the 29 no matter where I place it. Bugs me

Wouldn't that be a hurricane :mrgreen:
My powerhead shifts the sand around in the 29 no matter where I place it. Bugs me
My sand gets shifted around in my 75 too but, as long as the sand isn't kept in suspension then it's ok.

I have an 80bow but I was planning on not pointing the fans down or at least not at the sand to stop it as much as I can I guess ill see way before I put fish anyway

@phastroh

I'm the Web Coordinator for the PetSolutions website. I came across your post and talked with my boss regarding the way you searched for Live Sand. We never thought to include the live sand you found via search with the live sand in Live Rock & Sand due to differences in shipping methods. However, we thought it was a great idea and will add our other live sand to the Live Rock & Sand category with a note regarding shipping.

I just wanted to say thanks for detailing how you searched on our site. It's always difficult to know exactly how people search and navigate. Hopefully, this will make it a bit easier for future customers.

If you have any other questions regarding your sand, please feel free to contact our Customer Service at 800-737-3868 or email us at [email protected].

Again, thanks!
Kristen

Oh, and check out the new Live Rock & Sand page!

Live Rock & Sand | PetSolutions

Back