Sand sifter Goby ID

michelle

Reefing newb
First off, no picture yet. I just added him and he is hiding, but hopefully tomorrow.
My husband just bought me a nice piece of fiji Rock (5 lbs @ 16.99 a lb), some frozen marine algae and a white sand sifter goby. My husband tries real hard but has no real interest in aquariums so he got home with my surprises and said the fish store said the fish was an excellent cleaner and it was called a "alligator sand sifter, or something like that"
Anyone have any ideas, since I am pretty sure my thoughtful, yet aquarium impaired husband may be wrong:)
Thanks

I don't know of any goby that is completely white.There are many that is mainly white with different colors spots or stripes.What size is it and can you get a pic.

There are two types of sand sifting gobies.One perch called watchmens and the other swim,long slender body called sleepers.

there is also a dragon goby or sometimes called the brownbarred goby that could fit that distinction. Could be a diamond goby as well. no idea without a pic. Sorry

-Doc

hello!
ok so you are right Reeffreak I never noticed last night but he has little blue spots on his face and one black spot on his dorsal fin... here's a pic, and I am going to check that site now, thanks biff

100_2717.jpg

he does! how cool! I didn't know they ATE the sand and it came out through their gills...I thought they just spit it out.
Cool

Back