Sand sifting star q

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
I know SSS need an established tank to survive. What determines an established tank? I really need to get my sand cleaned up. Should I opt for the SSS or a different species? Also, how do differing ones effect a Dragonette? I don't want my little "Chubby" to have to compete more for food! Now that I have a fuge he is doing better and I don't want to jeopardize that.

I do know to stay away from the green ones.

The green ones aren't sand sifters, they're serpent stars.

What about a sand sifting goby? Or a bunch of nass snails?

Can't do another fish. I am on the verge of overstocked as is.

I have about 20 nass, but they haven't gotten the job done. (See thread about black crap on my sand.)

I remember when I had a SSS and it really churned things up. I took it back when I found out it would have starved in my tank as it was new. I'm thinking of getting another. I'm just wondering if it would compete too much with my dragonette for food and if it might survive in my tank long term.

Yes, I know green are serpents. Don't know why I missed that.

It won't compete with your mandarin for food -- mandarins eat pods, which are swimming and living in the rocks. Sand sifting stars eat tiny bugs found in the sand.

They generally won't do well unless they are in very large tanks.

What about a couple of fighting conches? I added a few to my 90 and they are constantly eating the crud off the sand. A cucumber might also work, but they're risky. If you go with the SSS you could always leave it in long enough to do its job and then trade it in again (I know, not the best answer, but its all I've got!)

Back