Sand Sifting Star Q's

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
Well I have one because he was free, not to big fits in the palm of my hand from tip to tip, just been reading through materials and want to know what the problem with these little guys are. I read a lot of people not wanting to put them in their tank etc, and wanted to know why and if I should fish mine out. Thanks

C.

Most of them die quick in our tanks because they starve to death. They eat the microfauna in the sandbeds and then bury themselves in the sand where they slowly die. You need a large, well established tank with lots of sand to support one.

mine stays out all over my rocks mostly, every now and then he disappears into the sand. Problems this might be?

I keep a sand sifting star for about a year in my old 30 gal.
He was fine and had grown quiet a bit when I traded him.

I have one. He will cruise all over the tank, even up the glass on occasion. I've had him in my tank for about 9 months now I guess and he is fine.

I keep a sand sifting star for about a year in my old 30 gal.
He was fine and had grown quiet a bit when I traded him.

Yote, Live Aquaria says that the sand sifting star grows to a foot long. How did you manage to keep it in a 30g for so long?

He was only abot 3 inches when I got him.In the year I had him,He only grew to like 4 and half inches.

mine has survived thus far, but all but one of the tips of his arms has dissappeared, i dont know if thier rotting off, or if some crrab is picking at him or what, but i had him in my 75 and now in my 210, so....

Back