Sand Sifting Star questions

purpledragonfly1970

Reefing newb
My little sand sifting starfish is still happily moving about, but I do not believe I have enough for him to eat and I do not want to starve him , so what can I feed him or supplment him so that he does not starve?

Most people will tell you (and this is just what i keep hearing, i don't have hard data for you) that sand sifting stars will do exactly that.... eat up everything you have in your sand bed and then starve. I don't know if you can target feed him, or feed enough that food drops to the bottom so that he can get it later, but either way I hear that they pretty much deplete all the stuff in your sand bed that is beneficial. You are better off with nassarius snails and other types of sand sifting animals that don't have as big of an appetite or only sift the top portion like a diamond goby. A better choice of starfish would be a Serpent Star, like a brown bristle or a smooth banded serpent.

Thats what I was thinking was happening ......shoot and I like the little buggar he is an active little guy,.......well I guess I am gonna bag him up, along with those nasty little hermit crabs and go get me some new snails..... well i might keep 1 or 2 of the nasty crabs but my 2 snails deffinatley do a better job than my 12 hermits....

The Sand Sifting Star moves across the sediment surface, devouring everything edible, then submerges into the substrate, eating everything it comes across. Once it runs out of food, it will starve to death, unless its diet is supplemented.

I must be supplementing the right stuff because I have had the same ones for almost three years. I think it depends on the tank.

Back