sand sifting star

madlynb

madtaz
Now, my sand sifting star is RIP. First my green brittle star and now this. Is there to be any concern for me or just write it off as they lived their life?:grumble:

What are nitrites at?

Brittles are pretty hardy, but sand sifters can starve rather quickly espeacially if the tank is a newer tank.

How did you acclimate them? They need to be slowly drip acclimated.

How long did you have them...they usually die from nitrates, or even low ph...plus sand shifters usually starve to death after time....they can eat everything in your sandbed fairly quickly.

i hope mine dosent meet that fate.. i've had him for a couple weeks now i guess... seems happy enough.. i see him moving spots ever 2-3 days...

yeah your sand sifter's gonna starve.... just kind of the way it is, really....

i probably wouldn't read too much into the fact that the sand sifter died.... but i would be VERY curious (as you are) as to why that brittle died.

how long have you had them? and of course since it's an invert i have to ask about your acclimation method.

you probably mentioned all this in other threads.... but i haven't seen it.... can you mention some info about your tank, params, all that good stuff :P

like also mentioned before, things such as copper kill inverts, and not always instantly. was this a brand new tank when you got it, or was it used? i like to gather lots of info :P

Starfish are very sensitive (similar to shrimp). Sand sifting stars don't have a good chance of surviving in new tanks or small tanks at all. So that death is not a mystery to me.

As to the other one, it could have been temperature or pH swings as well...

hmm well now i feel kinda bad about putting him in my tank... maybe my buddy would like to have him, his tanks are years old and much bigger than mine.

but i guess my tank is basically older than i think about it cause it was moved in here not started here... so i dunno

Back