Sand Sifting Starfish

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by C24IaHawks1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. C24IaHawks1

C24IaHawks1 Reef Lover

I read a comment from Biff in another thread that said, dont get a sand sifting starfish. Is there a problem with these in a reef tank? I have had one for about three weeks and he really work the sand. Ive noticed that the sand is cleaner but really havent noticed my parameters changing much. Anyone tell me the good or bad points of having this starfish? Thanks for the help.

C24IaHawks1, Feb 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. C24IaHawks1

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

They can and do keep the sand stirred.But they feed on the worms and other animals that live in the sand bed.Which pretty much just leaves you with bacteria.
    The worms and micro-critters in the sand actually feed on the waste from the fish.
    Plus the stars tend to starve to death fairly quick.

yote, Feb 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. C24IaHawks1

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yote is right. They eat all the good stuff in your sandbed very quickly. Then they starve and die. The end.

They rarely live longer than a few months. They tend to do better in very large, mature tanks that have enough food for them.

Bifferwine, Feb 21, 2009
  4. C24IaHawks1

Rainer

Ive had one for at least about 4 or 5 months now, but i do have a problem keeping my nitrates really low...

Rainer, Feb 22, 2009
  5. C24IaHawks1

Smitty

They live for awhile, but usually starve to death...I had one for a few months, with a deep sand bed(5 inches), but he too died, after all the goodies were gone from the sand. Other than that, they are pretty cool, and keep the sand clean.

Smitty, Feb 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question