Sand Sifting Starfish

SoccerPro522

Reefing newb
I got a sandsifting starfish for my tank and he only appears at night and i am asuming he/she is nocturnal but i cant find anything on the internet. Is he/she nocturnal or not:bounce:

They eat copepods. Copepods live in the sand and are nocturnal. I would not be surprised to learn the sand sifting star has developed nocturnal feeding habits as well.

Mine only comes out at night. Sometimes I spy one of his legs coming out from under a rock during feeding time, but mostly he is out at night. They are awesome animals.

I got a sand sifter with my tank and he/she is always out in the mornings, and disappears later in the day when my lights are on.

Mine is always out and moving around. It's not that often that he will bury himslef.

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

they are nocturnal in the wild, but will sometimes adjust to tank life and come out during the day. Especially if they have eaten up all your pods and now need to scavenger for left over fish food etc.

they are nocturnal in the wild, but will sometimes adjust to tank life and come out during the day. Especially if they have eaten up all your pods and now need to scavenger for left over fish food etc.
Just bought one today, read another post which says that they starve after eating all the pods in the sand. Sure hope he can scavenge! Coffeebean

my sand sifter dosent seem to pay attention to light or no light, he's out all random times.. but i have noticed that all of his little arms are lookn bad, like something's eating at them... so now he's all stubby....

Back