sandy. My sand star, needs help

Kwater

Chill
I have a sand star and I have noticed that he is starting to look a little beat up. I was wondering I thank that he is starting to decay how do I save mr. Sandy. My water tempture is about 79 degrese does that matter or no. Because the other things in my tank that is purfect tempture. Just hoping to save him

temperature is only one of many tests that are important. What are your other water readings (ph, ammonia, Nitrate,etc)

in not 100 percent shore but I know they can't be bad. And I would check but it is dark in my room now. Should I take him and place him in my 80 gallon tank. It is cycled but not complete yet just rock in there but he will have much room to walk around. Should I be feeding him or anything

Could be that your parameters are off,or the star could be starving to death.Your salinity could be to low.A lot of people start out with their salinity around 1.021 or .022.Thats to low for inverts.They require it to be 1.024 to 1.026.
Nitrates above 20ppm will usually cause them die fairly quick.Ammonia and nitrites even quicker.
Plus they tend to starve to death in smaller tank,especially tanks that havnt had time to mature.

well would u consider a 80 gallon (110 fatal water mass with sump) and a large sand bed a small tank??? He is in my 40 gallon right now should I put him in the 80 gallon tank. And dow do I feed him

I just read that sand stars will eat everything in you're sand bed. I guess I will get rid of him. Is there something that lives in the sand like a type of snail or something that is allmost the same thing as a sand star but dosent eat the bacteria and is harmless to the tank. Is there Dutch a thing like this. And reef safe.

If you 'get rid of him' take him back your your LFS please, even if they won't give a refund.

IMO you need 100+ g for a SSS, unless you can 'train' it to eat meaty foods that you feed it. I have a couple stars in my 55g, which isn't normally recommended, but they all eat 'out of my hand'

What you read is correct, they usually don't live long in our tanks because they run out of food so quickly. Especially in tanks that have been up and running for less than a year. The snail you're talking about is a nassarius snail. They are great cleaners and do a good job of keeping the sandbed clean. Every reef tank should have a handful of nassarius snails.

Oh, and yea... SSS will eat everything out of your sand bed which is why you need a large and deep bed for them to do well normally. :)

If you want some cool stars, look into brittle stars and serpent stars. They are awesome 'starters'

Back