Sarah's new 60 gallon!

well, for one you have normal base rock, and then you have tonga rock. tonga is more branch like and is hard to stack unless youre stacking it with other tonga rock. heres a link to my build, i have my tonga rock just laying on its side as you can see in the videos. https://www.livingreefs.com/and-were-live-buddys-75g-setup-t32251p27.html

i would add maybe 30 more pounds of normal base rock and 20 more pounds of tonga rock. that will give you plenty to play with. you just have to play with it, its easier to stack in the tank and if you stack it properly with all rocks sitting on the glass (not sand) they shouldnt move or fall so the epoxy and zip ties wont be needed.. just make sure to test how sturdy they are as you stack them.

edit: ive redid my aquascaping twice in my tank as you can see from the first pictures and most recent pictures.

Thanks guys, I need some inspiration photos and hints today; I have about 15 pounds of decent base rock in my biocube and 10 pounds of fiji rock coming in fedex tomorrow so hopefully those other pieces will help me.

Alright, well, I put all the dry rock and the new live rock in the tank (shipped covered in wet papertowels), the water is a bit yellow and a bit smelly. I have the heater and powerhead on, skimmer and light standing by....will test levels tonight.

Okay, I have one huge big big big question to ask that nobody has asked. Were the nerds regular sized or were they bigger? Because if they were regular sized, they must have been a ton in a box that size!

Okay, I have one huge big big big question to ask that nobody has asked. Were the nerds regular sized or were they bigger? Because if they were regular sized, they must have been a ton in a box that size!
HAHA, I peeked in and....normal sized. It was disappointing! You're in Chattanooga? I went to college at Lee U. in Cleveland TN...

Here is my ammonia and nitrite spike. Didn't feel like shaking that nitrate bottle this morning, already did my shake weight workout and was tired....
Also, my dirty water with rocks, the right side will be filled with the rocks from the biocube, so it looks bare now

Attachments

• tank set up 004.jpg
    tank set up 004.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 312
  • tank set up 008.jpg
    tank set up 008.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 338
  • tank set up 006.jpg
    tank set up 006.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 362
Reef capable Marineland lights, they shimmer like you wouldn't believe! Reflections on my wall are really beautiful. On youtube if you put in marineland reef capable led you wouldn't believe some peoples' tanks....

Those are just the lengths. That has nothing to do with the strength of the led lights. You want to get the reef capable ones. They have single, double and reef capable. I got the 48 inch reef capable. BUT, I'm going to have to say, I am doing this as an experiment, I saw that Brittany and lots of people on youtube have kept corals with them and I loved the look of them so I thought I'd give them a try. Many, many people on this site will say to stick with what is proven and get a t5 light unit.

I have the 48-60" Reef Capable as well, and I love the way my tank looks with it. Tons of shimmer, and it's bright enough that I had to move my Duncan down because it was too bright for him. I'm really happy with the light. Only problem: the daylights and moonlights aren't on separate cords, so it's difficult to put on a timer. You actually have to manually switch from day to moon, instead of letting the timer do it for you. I hope you have good luck with the Reef Capable too, Sarah! I'm eager to see your how your tank comes along.

Sarah, I understand they are just lenghts but I wasn't sure if the 36 - 48" are actually long enough to get to a 48" inch tank because most of them are just over 48" and not right at it. That is what I was curious with. Thanks for the information though.

Sarah, I understand they are just lenghts but I wasn't sure if the 36 - 48" are actually long enough to get to a 48" inch tank because most of them are just over 48" and not right at it. That is what I was curious with. Thanks for the information though.
Oh, I got what you're saying. Sometimes I'm slow :). Must be the beer. I bought the 48-60 length for my 48 inch tank. Fits perfect! I think the 36-48 unit would leave a lot of darkness on either side as it just extends with rods to fit....
It's an amazing light and good luck with your decision!

I have the 48-60" Reef Capable as well, and I love the way my tank looks with it. Tons of shimmer, and it's bright enough that I had to move my Duncan down because it was too bright for him. I'm really happy with the light. Only problem: the daylights and moonlights aren't on separate cords, so it's difficult to put on a timer. You actually have to manually switch from day to moon, instead of letting the timer do it for you. I hope you have good luck with the Reef Capable too, Sarah! I'm eager to see your how your tank comes along.
Glad to hear it's even bright enough for your duncan, I have one too and was worried about him. That is a bummer about the timer sitch, darn technology, do what we want already! I love that shimmer too, I will keep you posted on mine, love hearing about your tank....

Got my skimmer all hooked up and running. It started sucking yellow junk out of the water right away. You sure know it's running tho, sounds like I have a hot tub bubbling in my living room. Like a swinger. I don't think it's an unpleasant noise, but that's just me. Luckily the tank is pretty far away from any of the bedrooms...

Attachments

• tank set up 009.jpg
    tank set up 009.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 295
Sarah, which hang on the side skimmer is that? I am looking at a few and the best one I have found so far is
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pro Pump

Back