Sarah's new 60 gallon!

Sarah, which hang on the side skimmer is that? I am looking at a few and the best one I have found so far is
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pro Pump
What size tank are you looking to get?
The best skimmers, hands down, are the Octopus ones. I got a Octopus 2000, hang on the back style.

Sarah, which hang on the side skimmer is that? I am looking at a few and the best one I have found so far is
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pro Pump

That's the one I have, and it's great. It's really loud when you first start running it, but it quiets down in a week or two. It skims a ton of junk out, and I clean the cup out every 2-3 days. It's also fairly unobtrusive, just a little black box hanging on the back of the tank. I think I even saw someone on here with a potted plant sitting on top of it to make it somewhat decorative! Good luck, Mon Capitane!

The tank size is 55 gallon. He said it is just one of the normal 50 or 55, he couldn't remember. I am getting it off craigs list and I would have already had it but it didn't fit in my car. Gunna have to go with my roommates truck to pick it up. Sarah how quiet is that one? Its about 20 bucks more expensive than the AquaC?

I just read every page of your thread. Thanks for the compliments by the way throughout the thread! Lol did you see my vids on YouTube? I got another video i should put on there of my maxi mini Anemone eating but my dark husband had the tv cranked and you can hear it in the background..ill prlly still add it lol. Anywho...you know what's funny I have the exact same tank as yours....but mine is a 75 gallon. But its the same stand and everything and mine is in my living room also lol but mine is a freshwater. I've thought about converting it to salt but I don't have any money for the equipment I would need and I really love my freshwater fish. I have only the brightest colored freshwater fish Haha. your tank is looking awesome by the way. I really love the marineland light. Maybe ill get one for my freshwater. They would love the moonlights. I can't wait to see your tank with all your rocks and corals! My build thread is a bit dull right now bc I ran out of money to spend on my tank LOL. This hobby is sure expensive! And my lfs has been getting verry crappy orders in. I keep going in looking for something awesome and all they have is crap. Ugh I hate it. I even have store credit but I wanna find something really cool! Anyways sorry for rambling so much. I'm so excited to see how your tank does with the lights. Everyone says don't chance it but you know what sometimes its better to take a risk! :) love the big ole box of nerds by the way Hahaha

I just read every page of your thread. Thanks for the compliments by the way throughout the thread! Lol did you see my vids on YouTube? I got another video i should put on there of my maxi mini Anemone eating but my dark husband had the tv cranked and you can hear it in the background..ill prlly still add it lol. Anywho...you know what's funny I have the exact same tank as yours....but mine is a 75 gallon. But its the same stand and everything and mine is in my living room also lol but mine is a freshwater. I've thought about converting it to salt but I don't have any money for the equipment I would need and I really love my freshwater fish. I have only the brightest colored freshwater fish Haha. your tank is looking awesome by the way. I really love the marineland light. Maybe ill get one for my freshwater. They would love the moonlights. I can't wait to see your tank with all your rocks and corals! My build thread is a bit dull right now bc I ran out of money to spend on my tank LOL. This hobby is sure expensive! And my lfs has been getting verry crappy orders in. I keep going in looking for something awesome and all they have is crap. Ugh I hate it. I even have store credit but I wanna find something really cool! Anyways sorry for rambling so much. I'm so excited to see how your tank does with the lights. Everyone says don't chance it but you know what sometimes its better to take a risk! :) love the big ole box of nerds by the way Hahaha

Were you talking to me or sarah about this?

Thanks Brittany! Isn't it funny you were my inspiration and you didn't even know it :) I'm going to assume by "dark" husband you meant "dork" hee hee. Our t.v. is usually blaring during my tank staring/picture taking too, gotta love those guys.
So funny we have that same tank and stand, just for different uses. Yeah, I cannot believe how the money just keeps adding up and adding up! Yeesh. Yesterday I went and bought some black background, there's another 10 bucks!
I feel the same way about my LFS sometimes, they get stuff in on Fridays and I tool down there to wander and look and I swear it's yellow tang/clownfish/ neon goby mania lately. Get some fun wrasse in already people! I love looking at live aquaria and dreaming. You're smart to hold on to your store credit, as soon as you settle and get something just to use it up they'll get something amazing in, it just always happens that way!

Level check!
I just want to say, for the sake of anyone new to the hobby who may read this thread before/while setting up their own; go buy a test kit and test! Look at these colors, yick. You'd never make a mistake or rush things and add a fish while cycling if you would test your water and see these elevated levels. I can't imagine putting anything live in there right now.
I got my 2nd Bulk Reef Supply order in. Those guys are the best, really fast shipping. I got some screen, safe for my tank, thanks to Little Fish, I also got some reef chili b/c it looked intriguing and had great reviews. I can't wait to see how my corals respond to it today.
So, hopefully I can nag my dude into working on making a open hood with the screen tomorrow. Today he is off 4 wheeling without me :( Usually I go, but today, I was told, "no other girls were going." Boo.

Attachments

• tank set up 010.jpg
    tank set up 010.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 301
Moncapitane I was talkin to Sarah lol. Feel free to comment on whatever i said though
:) Sarah yes I meant dork for sure. LOL I have a smartphone and not a computer and it auto corrects me alll the time and makes up different words for me lol I also have a black background lol and the black and white sand. Looks like we have the same taste.
:) I go onto live aquaria all the time and I find a million things I want. And then I see the shipping price and get all mad bc I don't wanna pay 45 bucks for shipping lol.

Um so it is not normal for a person to have a hot tub in their living room? Crap, I guess I will be moving it this week. Anyway, sounds like you are making progress.

Level check!
well, I was pleasantly surprised this morning. My nitrites have dropped down to 0...
Saturday: Amm .25 Nitrites 4 Nitrates 30?
Sunday: Amm 0 Nitrites 1 Nitrates 20
Wed: Amm 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 20-40, hard to tell
My Ph is about 8.2-8.4

I'm thinking of doing a water change tonight, maybe around 20% and see if that brings my nitrates down. Wouldn't it be awesome if I could start putting my snails in the tank this weekend??? (wow, I gotta get out more, that's exciting???)

Attachments

• tank set up 011.jpg
    tank set up 011.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 342
Um so it is not normal for a person to have a hot tub in their living room? Crap, I guess I will be moving it this week. Anyway, sounds like you are making progress.
Haha, as long as you don't have a bowl for keys when people come over, then, totally normal... ;)
Sidenote: did you know if you leave your big garage door part of the way open it's a way of telling your neighbors you're a swinger?? I found that one out in an akward conversation when our motion sensors on the door were acting up and the stupid thing kept stopping before it was closed....

Updated pictures; I added the last few pieces of tonga branch, a black background, and the other powerhead. I still have other rock from the biocube to add so the rockscaping isn't done yet, just kinda stuck in there still I'm ready to tear down the other tank....

Attachments

• tank set up 013.jpg
    tank set up 013.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 369
  • tank set up 016.jpg
    tank set up 016.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 344
  • tank set up 014.jpg
    tank set up 014.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 321
Haha, as long as you don't have a bowl for keys when people come over, then, totally normal... ;)
Sidenote: did you know if you leave your big garage door part of the way open it's a way of telling your neighbors you're a swinger?? I found that one out in an akward conversation when our motion sensors on the door were acting up and the stupid thing kept stopping before it was closed....

That is kind of a scary though. I will remember that. I always though it was it was done just to help keep it cooler or something. Now I now and its TMI.

That's the one I have, and it's great. It's really loud when you first start running it, but it quiets down in a week or two. It skims a ton of junk out, and I clean the cup out every 2-3 days. It's also fairly unobtrusive, just a little black box hanging on the back of the tank. I think I even saw someone on here with a potted plant sitting on top of it to make it somewhat decorative! Good luck, Mon Capitane!

I have the aqua c remora on my tank also...and it keeps my water in perfect conditions. Btw, I have an aloe vera plant on top. :)

Back