Sarah's new 60 gallon!

Did a 20% water change last night, tested the water this morning, if anything, my nitrates are higher! Amm and nitrites still sitting at 0, but nitrates are a orange that looks like 40....

Thats too bad to hear Sarah. Everything else is going well. What testing kit do you have? I am going to need one of those as all I have right now are the little strips that are not that accurate but do the job for me in my freshwater.

That's not too bad for a new tank...some people have established tanks with nitrates that high. After a few more water changes over time, your nitrates should come down.

Last night I pulled out my live rock from the biocube, scrubbed it off with old tank water and stuck it in the new tank-leaving the old tank looking like a barren waste land.
This morning I come downstairs and peer into the biocube and...wtf...there is a little red bug crawling around on my sand. I do some googling and am a bit confused. They are bad, they eat sps, which I do not have. What has it been eating?? Are there more? Have I moved some of them over to my new tank with the rock last night?

Is it a flatworm?
If you moved the rock, you undoubtedly took some with you. If they are a specific SPS eating one, you don't have much to worry about unless you want SPS. They probably can still eat something else...as long as they don't reproduce to plague levels, it should be fine.
I think a 6-line eats them, but I'm not positive.

Last night I pulled out my live rock from the biocube, scrubbed it off with old tank water and stuck it in the new tank-leaving the old tank looking like a barren waste land.
This morning I come downstairs and peer into the biocube and...wtf...there is a little red bug crawling around on my sand. I do some googling and am a bit confused. They are bad, they eat sps, which I do not have. What has it been eating?? Are there more? Have I moved some of them over to my new tank with the rock last night?

Sarah, is it something like this? Reef Aquarium Pests and Parasites: Red Bugs and Nudibranchs I found a post online that using interceptor, the dog/cat heartworm pill over 3 weeks works to fix the issue: Little Red Bugs!!!! - The Reef Tank You might check those out.

UG, I wish I hadn't moved that rock over...and I wonder what they have been eating, since I don't have sps. It's odd, I stare at my tank all the time, and I've never seen the little buggers, and now I just see that one. That one little red bug, with his little tiny legs. Yick. He does sort of look like one of the flat worm pics...
Maybe a wrasse is the way to go parrotchute...what'd you do smitty?

Are you sure you are seeing red bugs? They are microscopic. I highly doubt you would be able to see one just crawling around on the sand bed, because they are smaller than a grain of sand. It more likely you have something else. And red bugs are actually red, they are more yellow.

That's what I was thinking the more I look at pictures online Little Fish, that it's not a "red bug". I dunno what it is but what I saw looked like a little bug, red in color, about the size of...an ant maybe? and he has little legs and was crawling around on the sand, I watched him about 45 seconds, and then I whirled around to grab my camera and he was gone.

I wouldn't stress too much about it.
On one hand, it most likely won't become a problem.
On the other, since you're not at plague levels, only a small amount of medication would probably take care of the problem, so it's a good chance to nip it in the bud.

This is an excellent article on flatworms and should help you out. And this can help with ID'ing the hostile invader.

Hmm, are there red pods? He was super red, had little legs, about the size of an ant, not hard to see at all. I am puzzled, I keep googling and just don't see anything that looks quite like what I saw. Another fun reef mystery :)

9050_acanthonotozoma-inflatum-kroyer-1842.jpg

tumblr_lnvhrkWVUw1qin08mo1_500.jpg

4310593513_afafdbae90.jpg

It's hard cause those are super close ups, but, that does look a bit like him, red, lots of little legs, I'd love to know what size they are, I'm frantically googling Acanthonotozoma inflatum

Last edited:
Back