Sarah's new 60 gallon!

It was interesting reading anyhow parrotchute, so, no worries.
I will heed your advice guys and shrug it off. Just wanted to make sure I didn't create a situation with the new tank! Thanks to everyone for the advice/pics/articles, I appreciate it.

I went to a new LFS last night. So fascinating. It was like a saltwater warehouse. Nothing pretty about it but lots and lots of fish to look at. It was the first time I've seen a lot of these fish in person as I've only obsessed over their pictures online. They had a HUGE Naso tang there and as soon as I saw it it made total sense why they need such large tanks. I could have looked at their selection for hours. I wish it was closer to me because I'd love to stop in every week and see what they've gotten in.
I picked up 3 small green chromis. I posted an awful pic of them on another thread but will post some good pictures here tonight. They are schooling together and are a beautiful iridescent green. I'm excited to have something to watch in there now!
I moved my corals over on Saturday and they all seem very happy. The Duncan is more fully extended than I've ever seen it and the palys are open much more as well.

Just tossed some food in there and it was quite a feeding frenzy! Those little buggers sure can zip around...the more I look at them the cooler they look.
Sorry for the picture quality, 5 years ago this camera was pretty decent, but, then again, so was my big screen....

Attachments

• tank set up 021.jpg
    tank set up 021.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 368
  • tank set up 022.jpg
    tank set up 022.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 342
my chromis were the same color when i first got them, i was a noob and only fed flakes... now i feed mysis and they are more of a light blue they are awesomee

Just tossed some food in there and it was quite a feeding frenzy! Those little buggers sure can zip around...the more I look at them the cooler they look.
Sorry for the picture quality, 5 years ago this camera was pretty decent, but, then again, so was my big screen....

Dumb question, how did you get the black in your sand? Is that the white and black sand that comes from somewhere like petsco? I saw some white and black live sand somewhere, but I am not sure where I saw it. Also, as long as its live sand, does it really matter what color it is? I just saw some black that looks pretty cool: http://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea...Reef_Aquariums-CaribSea-CS0821-FISSDS-vi.html

Last edited:
Also, as long as its live sand, does it really matter what color it is? I just saw some black that looks pretty cool: CaribSea Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand 20 lb

You dont need to buy live sand, any sand you put in your tank is going to be live after after a few weeks. Also i have a hard time believing that sand is still live after being mostly dried out in a bag exposed to who knows what kind of conditions.

But if that is look you want, they go ahead and get it!

You dont need to buy live sand, any sand you put in your tank is going to be live after after a few weeks. Also i have a hard time believing that sand is still live after being mostly dried out in a bag exposed to who knows what kind of conditions.

But if that is look you want, they go ahead and get it!

What would you suggest? I am still trying to figure out what is going on and what I want. I like the white and black so I need to figure out better what I need/want.

You dont need to buy live sand, just buy a sand you like the look of. But do stay away from crushed coral and super fine sand, both will cause you problems.

Caveat to that - buy sand approved for use in aquariums, not just any sand! Some sands may contain a lot of silicates which can cause problems in your tank.

Petco or your LFS should carry black sand, if not, order some online!

So, this morning I was blowdrying my hair and, we lost power. Built the house 6 years ago and have never lost power. I had to leave and all I can think of is, of course, my tank. I'm going to run home at lunch and I'm praying everything is back up and running and stock is still alive.

Back