Scale damage on a chromis...

bigploch

Fan of Water
I bought 3 chromis at the LFS one week ago. They are the only fish I have. They all seemed to be doing fine, eating well, getting around fine. Two of them are very active checking out all of my rock and coral. The third spends a lot of time hidden. He comes out to feed and speeds around just the same but he comes out a lot less frequently than the other two.

This morning when I fed them they all were in the rocks and came out. The one that was hiding more had what looked like scale damage to one side. No spots like I am reading about. More like he had scraped against some rocks. Only on one side and in the middle of the body, not on the fins. Also, his color was much more darker blue than the other two which are more green and bright.

I don't yet have a quarantine tank so I have no place to put it right now. Any thoughts on what it might be?

He could have been injured from the net when he was being moved. That often will cause scale damage. He could have scraped himself against a rock. It really could have been anything, and there's not much you can do about it unfortunately. Adding some garlic extract to the food will help boost his immune system and appetite.

You can find it at a fish store, and my local Petcos and Petsmarts also carry it. You can also just press some garlic yourself and use the oil.

Does the cromis have any ich or disease he could of got it scracthing
i have had fish with scale damage before

is it a red'ish spot? or just a scrape? we had a ton of chromis and all but one have died because they got these weird red spots near their tale. it would start as a speck and then get huge. we asked our lfs and he said it was common since they are not treated the best when they are shipped. once they get passed a period of time in your tank, about a month or so, youre usually in the green.

No it looked more like a scrape. The there were one or two off color scales on his side. Not white or red just a slightly different shade of green. I just had a similar issue with one that somehow got sucked into my overflow box against the plastic fish screen. He's got the pattern of the screen on his side. That was a few days ago and he is doing fine and eating well.

Marine, This was from when I first introduced the fish into the tank and didn't acclimate them properly (my first time acclimating in a long while) so they were really skiddish and flying around the tank looking for a hiding spot. So what are you thinking? And is that marine as in saltwater or Marine as in Semper Fi?

Yeah anyway Biff, I am surprised you reccomend Petco. They are the WORST company to deal with. Not that any chain pet stores are good but I have personally had terrible personal experiences with Petco.

You can find it at a fish store, and my local Petcos and Petsmarts also carry it. You can also just press some garlic yourself and use the oil.

Yeah anyway Biff, I am surprised you reccomend Petco. They are the WORST company to deal with. Not that any chain pet stores are good but I have personally had terrible personal experiences with Petco.

The poster asked where you can find garlic extract. As you see, I stated that you can buy it at an LFS, Petco or Petsmart. Not everyone has an LFS nearby that they can exclusively shop at. If they wanted garlic extract for their fish, that is a place they can buy it. I did not say "You should only buy it at Petco," I just listed their options of the places I have noticed it is sold.

I would never recommend anyone buying livestock for their tanks at Petco. More often than not, their fish are sick and stressed. But I often buy dry goods from Petco and Petsmart. Not just for my fish, but for all my animals. For dry goods, those stores are much cheaper than an LFS too.

Point taken. I don't shop there at all. I would rather pay the extra or go without if possible, but there are those times when this cannot be avoided.

Yeah. I have 7 cats and two big dogs :(

One of my tasks for next week is to start looking at some of the feed stores in town to see if there's any place even cheaper that I can get cat food and kitty litter. With that many animals, I need to start ordering by the pallet.

Good luck. I use Costco for my litter. 9 bucks for a 40 lb bag.

I'll have to look into that for sure. I'm pretty sure I pay a lot more than that right now. I have a Sam's Club near my house and my membership runs out this month :(, but the nearest Costco is about a 45 minute drive. I should go check out Sam's Club tomorrow anyways, we need TP, paper towels and laundry detergent.

That's the place to go to get that stuff cheap.

Riveting topic, I know. This is now officially the most boring thread ever. Hope you find that deal. I was floored when I saw it. LOL

That's the place to go to get that stuff cheap.

Riveting topic, I know. This is now officially the most boring thread ever. Hope you find that deal. I was floored when I saw it. LOL

Dude, I am so headed there today! I'm on a mission for cheap kitty litter.

I'm sorry that you think that's boring, so maybe I'll be able to say something else to liven things up a bit. Get ready: I'm also going to stop at the Habitat for Humanity store to look for a headboard and frame for my bed. WOOHOO!!!

Back