Scaredy Cat

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
:ugh: Truth be told, I'm scared. Going on vacation for the first time in 3 years. My house will be empty. I do have someone coming by 2 times a day to walk the dogs. I am considering an ATO setup, but don't know where to start. I lose 5G per day, so I have to do SOMETHING. Thoughts?? Recommendations? Trying not to panic!

How long are you gone for? You can't have your petsitter top off for you? If you have a line marked where your water line should be, it should be easy. I showed my petsitter my rodi reserve, and showed where to pour the water in, and how much to fill it. I'm SO an expert at leaving my pets when I go on vacation :D My goal is to make it easy and foolproof as possible...from doing trial runs, to premeasuring the dogs AND the fish foods....and these are teenagers I hire! Never had a problem.

Word of advice, if you're going to set up an ATO (or do any major system changes), you really should do it at least month prior to your vacation because you want time to test the new addition, and make sure it is running exactly how you want it.

Thanks Wonton, I am right now a little more than a month before I go. I will be gone for 8 days, nothing monumental, but still stressful. I am also hiring a "teenager" (family friend) to house/pet sit for me. I was considering filling up 8 5-gallon HD buckets and just stacking them right next to the tank for her to use. I figured if I just tell her to pour the whole bucket into my sump (which is what I do currently) each day, I should be ok, right?

I would do a few trial runs with her...have her swing by and do the feedings/top offs with you around....I also leave very DETAILED instructions on paper for the sitter (when I used to petsit, they were very helpful in reminding me everything I had to do at the house). Don't assume you're leaving too much info! I'd rather leave TOO MUCH info, than not enough.

It also helps to stress to the kids that if any of the fish die, do NOT panic, and it's ok :) I tell my sitters that fish die, it happens, move on, don't freak out. I think it helps get rid of the anxiety.

I bought a Tunze Osmolater a couple weeks back. It is an ATO system that uses an electronic eye to gauge water level and pump in fresh as needed. It also has 2 safety devices that shut it off should it ever stick.

Aquacave.com sells them for 189.00. This is honestly the best piece of equipment I have bought. The pump is small enough that it fits down inside a 5 gallon jug, so you just pull the pump out,replace the jug, and you're good to go.

If you go this route, there are a couple things about it you need to know that are not in the instructions, but very minor.

I'm not sure if I want to install an ATO. I guess I am a little leery of OVER automation. I am meeting up with my "sitter" this weekend and will discuss with her. Wonton-I am a little OCD with instructions and plan to print out a daily checklist for her to complete, just to make sure nothing is missed. :)

That particular ATO has 2 fail safes. A second float switch that shuts the pump off should it fill over the specified amount. And a built in timer that shuts the system off after 10 minutes of run time. Those 2 things alone was the reason I choose this one over any other unit. I am contantly away from my tank, and I know it is taken care of top off wise.

I love my ATO :) BUT I still check my water levels everyday (my sitters are instructed to peek in on it during feeding)...but one time, my ATO shorted out, and kept on running...luckily I caught it in time, and the pump was slow enough that it did not cause any floods. I just like to have it on my lazy days that I don't feel like topping off.

That's a good fail safe in that ATO, fast! I should try to implement something like that to my ATO. Mine was diy'd. I can easily hook up a timer, so when it powers it, the timer will count down and shut off if the switch fails, and leave it to run too long...just gotta work it out on paper.

Like I said, AG...it's better to be overly detailed than to be under-detailed :) Pre-measuring all my pets' foods helps put my mind at ease. They'd have to purposefully overfeed for the plan to fail. Otherwise, they just put in one serving (for my fishes' food, I use a pill box to separate out the foods)

Back