School project

Duddy

Reefing newb
We are starting a marine aquarium as a science and marine life experiment for our home school co-op. Hopefully the establishing of this tank will bring some interest to the hobby. We should be setting up this crusty old tank next week. After a little TLC and some donated items we should be able to polish this tank up and support the marine life we desire while nurturing a learning environment for the children. I'll keep you posted!! As we learn about keeping these beautiful animals, we will definitely rely upon the experience of you other reefers so feedback will be much appreciated.

Welcome! You should pm Angela Jean (another member here) who also home schools her son and has used their aquarium for various home schooling lessons!

Thank you all for the encouragement! I'll post pics along the way. The tank is in some serious shape so I'll have to give it some serious love before I start adding any animals.

Sounds exciting.

Donated parts = household vinegar is your friend.
Don't waste money on "aquarium grade" cleaning solutions. (Just keep vinegar away from the rubber parts)

Vineger + calcium/lime based deposits - cool chemistry experiment for the students.

Thanks for the tip. Here are a couple of pics of the tank we're bringing back from the dead.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Tank_2.jpg
    Tank_2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
LOL.... It's the 29 gallon - it was packed with over 50 lbs of rock and crusted over with calcium deposits and coralline algae. Needless to say I had to remove a few pieces... I think less is more with live rock and gives the animals a bit of freedom to move. The tank is now cleaned up and cycling. Retro-kit from Ecoxotic has been installed. The shimmer is awesome... Pics coming soon!

Well, actually, less is less when it comes to live rock. That's your natural filtration. So, technically, more rock is better. But, if your looking for room for fish, make the rockwork have tons of swim-throughs, caves, and shelves (Shelves are for coral purposes). But yeah, it's recommended to have 1-2 Lbs of LR per 1 gallon. So, you were pretty well off :)

I just couldn't get the aquascape I desired with almost 60 lbs of rock jammed in there. It only took 15 gallons of water to fill a 29 gallon to begin with. I think the quantity of rock is suffice. We will also be adding coral etc...

That looks fancy!

Jut make sure to clean the underside of the canopy regularly to ensure no salt creep builds up.
With an enclosed canopy, there is no such thing as cleaning too often.

Here are some pics of the tank thus far. 1 clarkii clownfish, 1 wrasse, 1 coral beauty angel, peppermint shrimp, starfish, anemone and some snails and hermits.

Attachments

• tank_1.jpg
    tank_1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Tank_2.jpg
    Tank_2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 246
Back