School project

Haha... we cycled the tank for almost 3 weeks before adding animals. We also used some water from the previous owner of the tank so it had some good bacteria rolling. The current tank mates were added over a period of 10 - 14 days. All levels are even, everyone is eating and seeThe Aquatic Life skimmer actually works as compared the the cheesy biocube airstone worthless piece... Just need a larger clean up crew to help with the algae starting to grow.

what are you using for flow? Have you calculated your changeover rate? a couple years ago I battled algae until I realized how light on flow I was.

Maxi jet 1200 pumping out of the rear sump and a Hydor Koralia 240 circulating in the tank for now. Not really sure how to calculate changeover rate. Unfortunately the tank inherited had some bubble algae on the rocks which is a problem we are now stuck with battling.

Bubble algae is pretty easy to nip in the bud. Just carefully pull out the little bubbles (don't pop them) and add a couple emerald crabs.

The single emerald crab we have is doing an amazing job. The mexican turbos are going crazy on everything else. It's cleaning up nicely. We suffered our first loss unfortunately - the coral beauty angel was swimming erratically from the beginning, bobbing up and down etc.... then we added the clown fish and he began to swim around the tank and eat aggressively. After 7 days he laid down and got super bloated. It appeared the clown fish tried to bring him food for a couple days, it was weird. He didn't make it though. We are now treating the tank with "Medic" water conditioning treatment from a company called Polyplab. I hope this works with any potential parasites.

Back