Scooter Blenny Is No More

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I've had my scooter blenny for about 4 or 5 months. It wasn't really plump when I bought it. I've had a very hard time getting it to eat anything, but it did eat some mysis when it could catch them. I've got a large population of copepods, amphipods and mysis shrimp breeding in the fuge and DT. I also fed frozen food 2x per week so I don't really know what the problem was. Over the weekend it finally got too weak to move and had to get the procelain burrial.

They're a really cool fish to watch move about the tank. My friend Mike has a scooter that is fat as my thumb. What gives? Any suggestions or tips for next time around?

Dragonnets can be strange. I personally have a mandarin that will not eat any pods so to speak. She doesn't like mysis. I tried tons of other food. Oddly enough fozen brine was my last choice(figured it was like mysis). And she went nuts over it. She also eat blood worms as well. If it wasn't for my persistance She would have died since for some reason she care much for isopods, amphipods, or copepods. She is gaining weight now.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Many scooter blennies will eat frozen food however. Yours however obviously wouldn't

Dragonnets can be strange. I personally have a mandarin that will not eat any pods so to speak. She doesn't like mysis. I tried tons of other food. Oddly enough fozen brine was my last choice(figured it was like mysis). And she went nuts over it. She also eat blood worms as well. If it wasn't for my persistance She would have died since for some reason she care much for isopods, amphipods, or copepods. She is gaining weight now.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Many scooter blennies will eat frozen food however. Yours however obviously wouldn't

I've tried all sorts of frozen food and mysis was the only thing it would attempt to eat. It wouldn't even touch cyclops soaked in garlic.

Sorry for your loss. What you need to do is make sure you see the next one eat at the LFS. This will make sure you know he eats.

Thanks Mike. I did ask the LFS to feed when I was there, but they said they fed them already for the day and it probably woundn't eat again. I decided to go for it since the LFS is an hour ride for me. Now I know much better.

Dang, that sucks! Hopefully the next one does better for you. Sometimes, fish will die from other reasons, that we can not control(bad shipping, already sick at store, disease, collection procedure). You know you tried, but sometimes, we can't save them all. Sorry about your loss.

Hate to hear that Dave.
It almost sounds like your scooter might have had some internal parasites.And thats something that we hardly ever think of.
At the store I help at,we'll feed any fish that a customer asks us about.Dont matter if we just fed that tank 2 minutes ago.A lot of times,we'll even feed that tank BEFORE the customer even asks when we notice them looking.

Back