scratches in tank

I dont know. I just searched the answer for you on google...

I myself have a glass tank specifically for this reason. They dont get scratched as easily...I was contemplating buying a acrylic tank , but the scratch factor made me go with glass.

If the scratches are on this inside - you're out of luck, unless you move everything out of the tank... if they're on the outside, there are 2-step products the LFS's sell that work OK, provided the scratches aren't too deep. Multiple applications will eventually fill the scratches, no matter how deep, but it takes a fairly significant amount of effort & rubbing. BE VERY CAREFUL working with chemicals around a living tank!

I agree, i think if the scratched are on the inside, there isnt much you can do. Even if they sold some miracle product for removing scratches on the inside, i would not risk getting my tank poisoned.

That stuff is bound to mix with the water eventually...

they are on the inside. i love acrilic but when i get a bigger tank i will get a glass one. i will have to check at the LFS or do some shoping on the internet.

scratches are a pain in the butt. no doubt that inside scratches will require you to drain your tank to fix, but even then, no idea what the epoxy will do to the water, especially in large amounts.

Glass is the way to go up to a point. If you get interested in a massive tank, glass is just too heavy and expensive to consider for anything over 165. not to mention the visibility starts to fade the thicker glass you get. Aquariums tend to use acryllic for the front of their display tanks, which is one of the reasons they don't want you knocking on the glass - prevent scratching. sorry about the scratches. Hope it doesn't effect the visibility of the tank too much

-Doc

Are they deep or shallow scratches. Shallow scratches can be removed or diminished with diatomitis earth paste on a sponge. It will cause some tank cloudiness but will filter out or settle out. Diatomitis earth is inert in a marine tank. It is even finer than rubbing compound which is often used on scratches on the outside of tanks. Often jewelers rouge is used in conjunction with rubbing compound on the outside scratches, but a tank would have to be empty to use it on an inside scratch. Diatomitis earth is used in pond filtration, swimming pool filtration and commercial hot tubs filtration and used to be considered the best in aquarium canister filtration, so it has been used extensively around all kinds of aquariums. Scratches are often removed commercially first with abrasives and then open flame or hot heat guns.

Last edited:
Next time you empty tank use a little MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and melt down a little plastic shavings and fill scratches (after cleaning them very well as anything left in the scratches will always remain there after you fill the scratches). What you are doing is basically the same as welding your seams. Your just using a little extra plastic as filler. You will need to use a syringe (or squirt bottle) and needle just as you would with new seams. It will be self leveling, and you are better filling in several layers than you are to over fill and then have to remove excess by sanding, then having to buff or heat melt the scuffs out. You can get little 6 to 8 ounces bottles at hardware stores where they sell their Plexiglas, along with a little squeeze bottle and a needle, or you can go to the solvent section among st the paint and buy a one quart can of MEK for just a little bit more. Syringes and needles can come from hobby shops or a pharmavy or where ever. I personally get mine as needed from my doctor. Mek, with lid screwed tightly, has a shelf life as long as the can will go without rusting through. A long, long time.

Last edited:
Back