Sea Cucumber Behavior!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I got my Sea Cucumber about 3 years ago roughly. It was about 1.75 inches. Since then I hardly ever saw it. I think I went 7 months without seeing it but 1 time.

Recently or for the last 6 months or so it is seen every night. I would guess now that it is 7.5 inches, hiding out is not as easy.

I can see it during the day near the cave where my Triggers hang out but it never comes out. I can basically see about 1 inch of it's side. Once the LEDS go on at night he almost always comes out and stays in the sand.

About 2 weeks ago I saw it on the rocks and thought to myself that it was strange as it is always in the sand.

2 days ago in the middle of the day I found it up on the front glass. It hasn't been on the glass since it was first put in the tank. For the last2 days it has been on the front glass just going around.

I started thinking there must be something wrong with it and if it dies I want to be able to take it out hopefully but it seems to be fine just going around. It is just that this has never happened. Not saying it is not normal it just isn't normal in my tank so far.

Just a few pix.

Sea-Cuce-3 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Sea-Cuce-2 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Sea-Cuce-1 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

My guess is that it's hungry and looking for food. Perhaps it has exhausted all the food in its natural habitat (the sand bed) and is venturing out looking for something to eat since it's starting to starve. In any case, that's a big cucumber and pretty impressive that you've had it for so long!

The sand has some discoloration so I always thought it was good for it but now I am worried. I can't think of how to feed it really since the fish eat 3 cubes of frozen and probably 30 pellets quickly when I put it in at night.

I left the cubes melt a while normally so food flies into the rocks but I would hate to see it die. I could stop scraping my glass as often. I only have about 7 big snails and some small ones. I think I see about 5 small Nass snails. My clean up crew is tiny for such a large tank.

Don't know why they recommend such large crews. I have less then what a 10 gallon calls for probably. I do have that large black brittle as well. Got me?!?!?

I support biffs assumption that it is probably out looking for new food supplies, I would try to find a way to put something back into the sand without compromising the stability of the tank, that is nice large cucumber though.

Back