sea cucumber

aftershock

Reefing newb
thinking about getting one for a 40 gallon breeder. saw one at the LFS and the way it cleaned look impressive. it basically looked brownish-greenish. should asked the type.

anyways, anyone have experience with these? is a 40 too small to keep one? just trying to fill out my CUC

Gulf cucumbers are ok. The toxic ones are from the indo-pacific. If the latter die in the tank they can be harmful.

Yep. I had one die in my sandbed (they bury themselves). I wasn't able to find the body, and it shot my nitrates up to 150+. I wouldn't buy one again.

Ive got 2 sea cucumbers in my tank, but they are the regular black ones. They turn over ALOT of sand. which is amazing for what I need.

like everyone has said, a non poisonous one is best, and i guess mine are not exotic at all so they pose little risk in my tank lol.

thanks everyone.

i didnt know they buried. i only have about half an inch of sand on the bottom, so would that be not enough sand?

Mine dont burrow, but generally you needer a sandbed a bit deeper than that. I have made mine about 3-4 inches to accommodate more sand sifting animals like sea cucumbers

Back