Sea Hare

joeman

MorphingSquid
From reading other posts I understand the Biff is a fan of Sea Hares, so this Q is for you, or anyone else who may know:
I bought a Sea Hare a few weeks ago and whilst he/she/it is calmly cleaning any algae off the rocks, some believe that it will die if it does not have a heavy, constant supply of Hair Algae - does anyone have any experience of this happening? :confused:
thanks, j.

Yes I looooooove sea hares! Not only are they the most BEAUTIFUL creatures in the ocean, but they do one hell of a job keeping the tanks clean. If you run out of hair algae, your sea hare will be very happy to live off of dried seaweed sheets (the kind that you feed your tangs). My LFS told me that they can live for a couple weeks without any food. I never tested this. Once Jessica (my old sea hare, may she RIP) devoured all the algae in my tank, I just started feeding her whenever I fed my tang. I would grab her and just plop her fat little body down on the seaweed sheet and she was just fine. That is, until I went on vacation for four weeks, left my tank under the care of someone else, and came home to find her shriveled little white body half sucked up into a powerhead.

I Just got one a few weeks ago. I love this little guy and he is the best cleaner I've ever had. I haven't had any problems with it either and it will eat seaweed sheets.

Sea Hares dont just eat hair algae either.They'll eat diatomes,cyno,what ever it is that we DONT want in our tanks,a hare will most likely eat it.

Biff,

you and your sea hares. I may have to buy one just to experiment on what cleans better...my turbos or your sea hares...(pretty...really?)

-Dr Marco :sfish:

My sea hares win, hands down. No competition there. Not even close. It's like me vs. Adrastos in a fist fight. Total knockout in like, 10 seconds (meaning, I'd kick his ass).

OUCH - burn....:bounce: Biff, you pretty much rock. What color is your sea hare? I have only seen drab brown and grayish ones.

got it, but I did see one online that was actually a pretty blue color. Maybe I will get one of those.

sea hares are great unless you buy a lemon like i did. she had the attitude of a lazy pothead without the munchies. For the record i had a huge hair algae problem in my 36 so there was quite the job cut out for her and never once did i see her eat anything!!!!! i even tried picking the damn thing up and placing it directly on the algae, still nothing just hobbled off the rock to the sand. Thing was allergic to live rock i swear! she just milled around the sand all day and all night. after about a week and a half to 2 weeks she took her porcelain water slide ride to hell. apparently you die if you dont eat!!!!!!!!!

arent they a bit dangerous for reefs?? cause is said that sea hares can release toxins to the water if stressed or when it dies..just curious, somtimes i see them reefing but never had one..just lettuce sea slugs..(need to get another, a mantis took the life of one i had)..

Yeah, that's the story. But I never had a problem with mine releasing any toxins, and I even handled mine and moved her around too.

I moved mine to the 30 for a while.
A couple of weeks ago it got stuck to a power head and releaseed ink while I was trying to free it.
Talk about slimy stinking water.Did a 50% water change,lost nothing.

I havent seen shrek (my seahare) in a week. I was affraid there wasnt enough food for him in the new tank so I started putting him on seaweed and he was eating it fine. Im hoping by posting this he or his body will reappear.

Back