sea horses marine tank with other fish

johnnystorm

Reefing newb
hi guys, is it a really big deal to have a sea horse in a marine tank with other fish?ive seen around some people say always have a seahorse only tank where others have mixed a sea horse in completely fine.

what are your collective views?

Seahorses are a more delicate creature that do not do well in a normal reef tank. For instance they like tall tanks, not long or wide, they arent really an active feeder in the sense that they wont hunt down their food, and they dont like a lot of flow. In the normal reef tank where you have a lot of things that need a lot of flow, you would end up blowing your poor seahorses all around. If you want sea horses, there are a few members here who have tanks with them and can guide you to some online courses for education. But the general consensus will be seahorses in your tank as it stands is a no no

there are a couple fish that do well with seahorses, like the clown goby, they have to be an extremely slow moving fish like the seahorses themselves so the seahorses dont have to fight for food since they are extremely slow eaters and movers themselves, my seahorses used to follow one piece of food around a tank before finally settling in on eating it.. I had the goby in with my seahorses for almost 4 years until I dismantled the tank.

Like others have said, because of the special needs of a seahorse, they really do not belong in a reef tank, or even a fish only tank. Most other marine fish will out compete them for food, and some corals can damage them when the seahorses use them as hitching posts

Back