Sea Lab No 28 -- Tried it?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Anybody tried this? Somebody said they buried them in the sand and they dissolve more slowly. I'd love to dose cal by simply dropping these in once a week. That would easier than maintaining a calcium reactor or liquid doser.

p_321768_FS19655D.gif

Marine Reef Aquarium Additives: SEA-LAB #28 Automatic Replenisher

I bought some but have not tried it. I guess you could try it out just make sure and test regularly to make sure it is leaching the proper levels into your tank.

It would be pretty cool if it worked but i don't see how it would disolve at the proper levels that your tank needs.

I understand that they dissolve as needed, so it shouldn't matter whether you dump them on the sand, or in it. I would just throw it in the sump

Some of that stuff along with an EcoAqualizer and you never have to do water changes or add supplements. :bounce:

I was having problems with maintaining my calcium and i just put two cubes in my sump last weekend they both disolved already but my calcium has been maintaining at about 500-525 since then. They just finished disolving today so I am going to wait to test tomorrow to see if the calcium goes down any from one day to the next. I have alot of Coraline so my tank uses alot of Calcium.

I was having problems with maintaining my calcium and i just put two cubes in my sump last weekend they both disolved already but my calcium has been maintaining at about 500-525 since then. They just finished disolving today so I am going to wait to test tomorrow to see if the calcium goes down any from one day to the next. I have alot of Coraline so my tank uses alot of Calcium.

I'm in the same boat --lots of coralline eating up my alk and calcium. Let me know how it goes. I like that they slowly dissolve. Its like automated dosing. You have to figure that you'll maintain your doser once a week anyway. It might be easier to just drop one or two of these in a week.

I used to use those. In my experience, if they get buried in the sand they may not dissolve. In fact I have found really old pieces of them under the sand when moving things around. Those old pieces seemed to have hardened some how.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have had a great experience with this product. I am using the bigger cubes than shown in the original post. I had problems with my calcium keeping anywhere above 380 bc of the amount coraline. The first week I put in two cubes and continued to dose the 2part to bring it up to 500. Since Friday I have not dosed any Calcium and just maintained 1 cube in my Sump section with the return pump. My calcium has been steady between 500-550 for the last 4 days. If I can only find something like this product for my alkalinity which is around 2.5 I would be a really happy reefer.

I have used sea lab 28 as long as 30 years ago. The block/blocks should be put in an area of the water where the flow is light but. Do not bury. Too much flow will prematurely dissolve the blocks, as will direct flow on the blocks. If you use sea lab 28, be careful on dosing in addition to its use. Accurate and frequent testing is needed if you dose and also use the blocks. For those of you that are experiencing success with the use of Sea lab keep doing what you are doing, Keep it simple and do your water changes. Good fishing to all.

Back