Sea Star

T Fades

Reefing newb
Hi All,

Was considering getting a Serpent or Brittle Star for my 28g nc reef. Good or bad idea? Not sure if they will outgrow the tank? Existing CUC includes 2 turbos, 2 astreas, 2 nass, 2 trochus, 1 fire shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 emerald crab. Fish include 1 Six Line and 1 Diamond Goby. Also, is there any signs I should look out for when selecting one?

Also, just wondering why people call them Starfish? They are not fish, and I believe are more properly called Sea Stars? Maybe it is just easier to say Starfish? I remember Marine Bio class, and saw another student get flamed for calling them Starfish.

Thanks all.

I have a serpent star and I really like him. He never comes out all the way you just see arms stickout reaching for food. I will hand mine a chunk of shrimp or an algae wafer once in a while.

I have a serpent star and I really like him. He never comes out all the way you just see arms stickout reaching for food. I will hand mine a chunk of shrimp or an algae wafer once in a while.

Mine does the same. My daughter think he is ugly thou. lol. Not sure if it really do much since I hardly ever see him do anything other during feeding time.

Mine does the same. My daughter think he is ugly thou. lol.

She needs a purple one. :D

786457088_gJ8Mm-L.jpg

I've had two of them in my nano for about 8 months now. You should look at the harlequin serpents, by far the prettiest IMO. I've got three of those guys so far and I'm planning on more!

Definately digging the Harlequin Serpent. Gonna see if my LFS can special order one for me. .

By the way, don't mean to spam, but you guys gotta check out my LFS (vividaquariums.com). Awsome selection of corals. Not sure about prices, but their selection is killer.

Hi All,

My LFS was able to order me a harlequin serpent. The star arrived at the LFS yesterday (Monday, 5/16). I will be picking him up tonight for a thorough acclimation. I do have a few questions for ya:bowdown::

1) Am I creating too much stress by picking him up at the LFS today and acclimating today? My concern is the star is probably really stressed out right now at the LFS, as he just got there yesterday. I don't want to ruin my chances of keeping the little dude alive. I could wait until this weekend to pick him, maybe letting his stress subdue until his final acclimation into my reef.

2) Regarding acclimation, I understand stars need an extra long time acclimating. I plan to float the bag for 20 minutes and then a 2-3 hour drip acclimation. Here is where my question regarding acclimation comes into play. I have two options for acclimation (after temp acclimation):
a) Drip into the bag the star came in (my usual way), or
b) Use a bucket to do the drip acclimating. If I use this method, how do I ensure
the temp stays at 79 degrees without using a heater?

3) After acclimation and the little dude is ready to be put into my tank, I understand they should not be exposed to air. This sounds kinda tricky as I don't want any LFS water in my tank. Any thoughs on this?

Hi All,

My LFS was able to order me a harlequin serpent. The star arrived at the LFS yesterday (Monday, 5/16). I will be picking him up tonight for a thorough acclimation. I do have a few questions for ya:bowdown::

1) Am I creating too much stress by picking him up at the LFS today and acclimating today? My concern is the star is probably really stressed out right now at the LFS, as he just got there yesterday. I don't want to ruin my chances of keeping the little dude alive. I could wait until this weekend to pick him, maybe letting his stress subdue until his final acclimation into my reef.

2) Regarding acclimation, I understand stars need an extra long time acclimating. I plan to float the bag for 20 minutes and then a 2-3 hour drip acclimation. Here is where my question regarding acclimation comes into play. I have two options for acclimation (after temp acclimation):
b) Use a bucket to do the drip acclimating. If I use this method, how do I ensure

3) After acclimation and the little dude is ready to be put into my tank, I understand they should not be exposed to air. This sounds kinda tricky as I don't want any LFS water in my tank. Any thoughs on this?

If the store will hold it for you I would give it a few days just so he can chill out first.

I personally use a bucket next to the tank the water coming into the bucket is the temp of the tank so I have not had issues with the water temperature when I acclimate anything.

I dumped most of the water from the bucket down the sink leaving enough to cover the star then holding the bucket over the tank i just gently slid him into the tank.

I dont think a few seconds will harm him. I had to take my tank apart and mine wouldnt get off a rock so i had to grab his arm and wiggle him til he let go he was mad but he got over it.

Hi All,

If it were me, I'd just pick it up now. If you wait for it to chill out then you're just going to end up stressing it out a second time. Might as well just get it now and let it get comfortable in your tank and not have to move again.

I just drip into the bag from the LFS. I've never dripped anything for longer then 30 mins. so I've never had to worry about the temp dropping.

It'll be fine out of water while you put it in the tank. I guarantee it's been out of water several times between being caught, arriving/leaving the wholesaler, and getting to your LFS. I've taken mine out a couple times with no ill effects.

Your answers are in red ^^

Back