Sea urchin not moving after 3rd day

felixfish

newbie reefer
I bought a HOB refugium off a guy on craigslist. He asked me if I wanted a sea urchin too, of coarse I took it. Well once I put him in the tank he was moving fine, then yesterday he moved to the sand bed in the back of the tank and stopped moving. I attempted to move him with a net and some of his needles were still moving. It doesn't seem as if any have fallen off, but he hasn't moved. Is he on his way out, or could it be he has to acclimate to my water?

Well I just picked him up out of the water, and some of his spikes are falling off. His mouth on the bottom was moving slowly. Should I just take him out, or wait?

I would leave him for a while longer, they are one of the things we keep that can sit in the same spot for a week at a time. If it's spines continue to fall off then I'd say it's dying on you.

+1 Brian...I'd leave him in there for awhile, and see how he does. They do tend to sit for some time, and their spines do sometimes fall out, but it doesn't mean he's dying. Good luck with him.

Hopefully you acclimated him for several hours before putting him in if not he could be in shock they are pretty sensitive to changes.
I would give him more time and just watch it.

Check your nitrates too. They will not do well in a FOWLR setting where nitrates tend to be higher. Hopefully it's just trying to acclimate to its new environment. Good luck!

Ok thanks for everyone's comments, hopefully he'll come out of it. I just attached a refugium and hope my nitrates level out completely.

Had to take him out of the tank last night. He stopped moving, and didn't want to jepordize the rest of my tank. Stinks. Thanks for your help!

Back