Sea Urchin?

SeanV76

Reefing newb
hey guys I am thinking about getting a sea urchin. I don't know alot about them though. Can you guys help? for example what do they do?,what species are the best?,are they easy to take care of?, why does everyone like them :) thanks and please reply.. sorry for the bad grammar I wrote this in a rush (:

Check out the species database or live aqauria for info on the species. I think they are pretty cool myself. The only issues with them is that they eat coraline and are know to pick up anything and everything and carry it around. They are also very sensitive to nitrates so they need a zero nitrate system.

They're like any invert and need good water conditions and an established tank. They'll roam around your tank looking for algae. I would get a short spine urchin, other ones you find like Halloween urchin and purple spines look cool but will pick up and move/knock over any frag you may have. Another thing to consider is that I have no coraline on my rocks because they eat that as well.

I have the purple pincushion one my tank is 2 months old and he is doing great.

He loves to eat algae and stuff off the rocks occasionally I will hand him a small chunk of slow release herbivore food. I also have a feather duster worm that he did try to eat until I was able to hide it in the rocks for safety but he never messes with anything else in a mean way.

They are famous for knocking over anything that is not glued down so if you have corals you better load up on super glue gel!

They also like to pick stuff up and carry it around as you can see from my avatar. He was carrying around my seaweed clip for weeks when I decided to give him one of those big googly eyes LOL

I love mine he is really fun to watch.

They're like any invert and need good water conditions and an established tank. They'll roam around your tank looking for algae. I would get a short spine urchin, other ones you find like Halloween urchin and purple spines look cool but will pick up and move/knock over any frag you may have. Another thing to consider is that I have no coraline on my rocks because they eat that as well.

I kind of like that he eats the coraline I dont like the way it looks personally I think it makes the tank look dirty.

Back