Seabae Anemone Questions

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
Hi,

I have a couple questions about my seabae anemone i recently purchased.

I have had my tank set up for about 6 months and the fish i had outgrew it. (Its a 12g nano cube) I replaced them with two paired clowns and a seabae. I picked out a pretty decent looking one at the lfs. It was a healthy looking tanish/purple/light brown, rather then a bright white.

So firstly, is there another name for a seabae? Google searches arnt turning up much.

I started by placing my seabae on the sand where i have read that they like to hang out, but after a couple hours i found it 'face down' so i moved it up to some rocks. I'm going to let it settle for the night and see if it finds a good spot, but iv noticed some strange things. It has a hole in the middle of it. Not a mouth, but a straight hole i can see through. Is this normal? Also its base or foot has a few yellow lines across it. Normal or a symptom of something else. Anything helps, thank you for your time.

It has a hole in the middle of it. Not a mouth, but a straight hole i can see through. Is this normal?

as far as i know that is not normal .
what kind of light do you have on your tank?
just for thought that nem may die you should never put a nem in a tank that is kess than 10 months old they are just not stable enough to support a nem.

Try searching "sebae". You're spelling it incorrectly.

as for the hole, that's not a good sign. Is it a hole in the foot, or does it go straight through where the mouth is supposed to be? Anemones do not usually recover from holes or tears.

Did it have the hole when you bought it? If yes, I'd take it back and try to get your money back. If no, then you could have ripped the anemone when handling it or moving it around.

If it is not attaching itself to rocks or substrate then that is not a good sign either. A healthy anemone will not let itself go face down.

Sebaes are not easy anemones to keep alive. In fact, they are considered one of the most difficult anemones to keep alive. It may be that your tank is not mature enough or too small for it. They require intense lighting (at least 8 wpg, more than most corals) and pristine water conditions. If either of those needs are not met, it will go downhill fast (within a couple days).

Sebae Anenome is the proper spelling try that for your search. I know they are hard to keep and very light demanding, dont know much else never had one. Someone here will help soon Im sure.

EDIT: I type slow and research slower the answers above didnt exist when I started this.

haha i knew something was wrong with my search. Well, we will see how it goes. Hopefully it will recover. If its still up in two days or so ill throw it a silverside and see how it takes it.

If you see any tentacle pieces that are falling off ditch it ASAP if it craps the bed totally in your tank it will crash your system.

I have yet to a sebea recover from a hole.Their just to fragile.I also dont think a nano will be stable enough for one to survive in.
I think you'd be better off to take it back to the store and swap it for something else.

Back