seahorse eyes

SexyKatey

Reefing newb
my 30g tank had ich and ive been treating it and my two seahorses seem to be doing well. both are swimming around and eating normally. I did notice today that one of my seahorses eyes are blueish in colour and arent moving at all, as they should. What could this be?

Katey

I'm having trouble identifying the type, looks to me like an h. breviceps. Where did you get them?

Offhand, my best guess is that something happened when you treated for the ick. What did you do to treat the ick?

If you do have an h. breviceps, you'll need to keep your tank very cold. They are a cold water horse that live in water that is 65-69 degrees. You'll probably need a chiller to keep your water that cold constantly. Also, horses are social creatures they can die without others around so you'll want to get another horse of the same type if this one does make it. Find out for certain if it is a breviceps because I'm just guessing.

How old is your tank? I'm not seeing any CUC in there and you've got some red slime. Have you tested the water?

If you want to keep horses one of the best things you can do is take the free online class offered by Pete Giwonja at Seahorse.com - Seahorse, Sea Life, Marine Life, Aquafarm Sales, Feeds and Accessories - Home. Pete is an expert and extremely nice. The class is awesome!

Catherine

i got them from an aquarium store called Dragons Aquarium and i used a product called Ich Attack by Kordon which is an all natural product because i do have my coral in my aquarium. My tank does have the red algae and im trying to get rid of it. My nitrate levels are high there at 20 but everything else is perfect. I only feed them 2 times a day and i dont understand why its still high. Ive been doing water changes once a week and im feeding them frozen brine shrimp. I also boil the water that i use to clear it of any chemicals. I really love sea horses and would love to have them, so what am i doing wrong?

I don't know anything about seahorses, but the ladies are gonna ask you what type of equipment you have hooked up to your tank currently. Powerheads, pumps, Lighting, etc.

If you can answer those questions, it's going to expedite their ability to help you.

I don't know anything about seahorses, but the ladies are gonna ask you what type of equipment you have hooked up to your tank currently. Powerheads, pumps, Lighting, etc.

If you can answer those questions, it's going to expedite their ability to help you.
I'm with PRC on horses(would one day love to have a set-up though),but i can tell you there are only 2 tried and true methods for killing ich......copper and hypo....the stuff you are using is possibly doing more harm than good,i would stop using it personally....good luck

i got them from an aquarium store called Dragons Aquarium and i used a product called Ich Attack by Kordon which is an all natural product because i do have my coral in my aquarium. My tank does have the red algae and im trying to get rid of it. My nitrate levels are high there at 20 but everything else is perfect. I only feed them 2 times a day and i dont understand why its still high. Ive been doing water changes once a week and im feeding them frozen brine shrimp. I also boil the water that i use to clear it of any chemicals. I really love sea horses and would love to have them, so what am i doing wrong?

For starters, they were probably wild caught and were having a hard time adjusting to tank life, leaving them susceptible to the ich and the bacteria infection that showed up in the eye.

Also, those "all natural" products or anything that says its reef safe only kills the visible cycle of ich. The only proven methods of killing off ich is hypo and copper. But you can read more about ich in this link: https://www.livingreefs.com/oh-no-have-ich-do-do-t30950.html

Your nitrate levels are probably high because boiling the water does nothing to remove chemicals. If you were using tap water and didnt add a dechlorinator (?) then your fish are probably suffering from poising from that as well. Also you havent removed the nitrates from that water, plus the nitrates from the decomposed fish poop and uneaten food.

Also frozen brine has no nutritional value, its like feeding candy. Its ok for a once in awhile treat, but not as a staple.

If you really love your seahorses and you want to keep seahorses, i would return the one that you have and take pete's lessons. He will educate you on how to properly care for them, because currently their care is pretty substandard. I know you didnt mean to do that, but you should research every purchase long before you get it to avoid tragedies like this.

Back