Seahorses H. erectus

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by claireputput, Sep 8, 2014.

1. claireputput

claireputput

I have changed out my 55g tank. It no longer houses coral-moved to the 120g.
    I have converted it to a seahorse tank. I bought H erectus. I am working on training them to use a feed trough and hitching posts at feeding. They were tank raised so they are able to eat frozen Mysis shrimp but not sure what else to feed them. I am hoping to have little ones at some point-we will see as that is a long way off.
    These are about three inches in size.
    I have added tons of artificial flowers for them to use to hitch.

claireputput, Sep 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. claireputput

ReeferRob

Ok, here's what I know about seahorses and it's all that there book lernin. I don't have much experience with them real world so caveat emptor. The only ones I ever had were 2 pairs of dwarfs that I bought out of the back of Tropical Fish hobbyist circa 1975 or there abouts. They need live foods until they're weaned onto frozen. I see a lot of videos on Youtube about them in refugiums. What I would do personally is get an LED light for freshwater and try to grow some eel grass for them to hitch on, kinda like a lagoon aquarium.

The ones I had hung on for a little over a year, but not having a better food than live brine that I fed greenwater to just wasn't enough for the little horsies. :( You might wanna order some pods from somewhere and a greenwater culture for them. They like to hunt so I don't see an issue with dumping them in a tank with the seahorses, just make sure the pods have a few places to hide and reproduce.

ReeferRob, Sep 9, 2014
    claireputput likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. claireputput

claireputput

Thank you, I ordered pods and put them in just before the horses got here. Where do I order the eel grass? I am guessing this is saltwater grass?

claireputput, Sep 10, 2014
  4. claireputput

claireputput

@ReeferRob , what do you mean by ordering a green water culture for them?

claireputput, Sep 12, 2014
  5. claireputput

ReeferRob

You'd have to check some where in Florida for the eel grass and green water is algae water to feed pods and brine shrimp.

ReeferRob, Sep 12, 2014
  6. claireputput

claireputput

Ty @ReeferRob. I ordered copepods and am feeding frozen Mysis, They are really growing great!

claireputput, Oct 5, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question