Seahorses

2008pollyanna

Reefing newb
Does anyone have good resources for information on starting a seahorse tank? Need good reading and info.
Planning on making my 29 biocube this fall into a seahorse tank...
Who raises seahorses on this forum?
I need a good mentor....
B&S

My sister just started her seahorse tank. She's having a hard time finding the sea grass for them. She bought a book on them not sure of the name. Also someone in one of the build threads has one. I can't remember who though.

Thankyou piggy for the info...the blade calerpa is a good choice I am told. Have your sister look at this website. She also has a video of her seahorse tank.
www.karensroseanemones.com/
Maybe she can tell you the name of her book?

And yes, tomarrow I think I will just put the clown in the biocube...I'd rather do that then see a deadly fight.

I wouldn't mix a clown and the seahorse beacuse the clownfish will steal and eat all of the food and the seahorded wont have much to eat.

Yes, when I do go to seahorses in the biocube...I will have to move several items...like my clown, anemone, frogspawn...ect.
I am wondering if the dragonfish would be able to stay? New to these lil guys...

dragonets are also very slow feeders so they might get along, do you have your dragonets eating frozen because a 29g can not produce enough food constantly for one let alone two

I have them also enjoying cyclop-ezze.
They like it as much as my snails and peppermints.

I did put in like a 1,000 copepods and they reproduce. So, am hoping they can do okay. Otherwise, may have to put one in my 46 bowfront.

make shure they eat frozen food when you get the i used to have a couple kellog seahorses and many of the wild ones that are in the trade will only eat live food witch will make them very difficult to keep.

Only buy tank-bred seahorses. Not only do they take prepared foods, but they are much healthier and more resistant to disease. The survival rates of wild seahorses in tanks is very low. Tank-bred seahorses are very easy to find and very abundant, so there really is no reason to buy wild caught in the case of this animal.

The name of the book is "Seahorses" (A complete Pet Owner's Manual) by Frank Indiviglio
It's a good read with a lot of info.

Back