Sebae Anemone Help! Are sebaes and bubble tips a lost cause?

DaneAtkinson

Reefing newb
So this has been our second attempt at an anemone for our maroon clown. The first attempt, we were impatient and introduced it into our tank very early with little experience with saltwater tanks and their chemistry. (Still learning)

Our current Sebae anemone looks terrible. It has looked slightly shriveled since 2 days after we bought it. Tentacles are deflated... It is attached to a rock higher up in our tank and the clown still swims in it although the anemone is too small for it... I have heard that these are difficult to keep but how? What are we doing wrong? All of our other anemones, fish, corals, etc are doing great! Please help!

This is what I do know about our tank...

Setup August 2012

-48 Bow Front
-Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 10k/460nm Actinics
-CRP BAK-PAK 2 Protein Skimmer
-Cascade Canister filter system
-1 Powerhead, (soon to be 2)

pH=8.2
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0
Phosphate=0
Calcium=450ish

We also add Iodine, Macrovert and a type of Phytoplankton

Stock

Maroon Clown
Firefish Goby
Beauty Angel
Watchman Goby
Foxface Lo

Yuma Ricordea
Carpet Anemone
Condy Anemone (Has not harmed anything or is touching anything)
Flame Scallop
Button Polyps
Star Polyps
Kenya Tree Coral
Feather Dusters

How long has it been your tank? How is the coloring does it looked bleached? Is it's mouth tight or is it open? Maroons are pretty rough on anemones especially if the anemone is smaller than the fish. There could also be some chemical warfare between the anemones since you have three in such a small system. Sabaes also don't ship very well.

How long has it been your tank? How is the coloring does it looked bleached? Is it's mouth tight or is it open? Maroons are pretty rough on anemones especially if the anemone is smaller than the fish. There could also be some chemical warfare between the anemones since you have three in such a small system. Sabaes also don't ship very well.

Nick,

It has been in our tank for about 1 month, maybe more. We bought it with a purple/brown hue which is still has. Mouth seems to be tight? We try target feeding it but don't know if that is helping... The Condy was introduced a week ago so the Sebae has been "unhappy" before it. What do you mean by chemical warfare? Thanks, Dane

Much smaller than the Clown...

Attachments

• blahblahblah.jpg
    blahblahblah.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 550
Yes it looks very small compared to your clown. It is good the clown is leaving it alone since it will probably stress it even more. I wouldn't try to feed it as long as it is shriveled like it is. It is attached which is good and it appears the mouth is tight which is also good. If you have multiples of different species of anemones they can sting and kill each other competing for space and food. Conversely, if you have a cluster of the same species you won't have that problem. Do you have any aggressive swings in ph or temperature as that can also cause stress. What is your specific gravity? My anemones are happiest at 1.025-26.

Based on all your information and looking at your pic my best guess would be the clown has stressed it because of the size difference. Maroons can be brutal on them and an anemone larger than the fish helps.

Back