Second Fish Added

Old_Moe

Reefing newb
( repost from my tank build since I have a question)

well I guess it might be the third. Been 3 months since we added the first 2 fish in the tank ( Pair of Clowns ), everything has been going great so we wanted to add another fish. trying to take things slow.

My list was:
FoxFace or a Goby

LFS didn't have a smaller FoxFace ( only ones that were about 5" or so.. seemed a little big to me )

We went with what they are calling a "Dragon Sand Sifter" actual name on Live Aquaria is a Sleeper Banded Goby

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Sleeper Banded Goby

We love this fish... from the moment it hit the tank, it started cleaning... clown were a little freaked out at first but now they seem to follow him around a little bit.

My question is:

and I knew it going into buying the goby...

My tank is now cloudy with fine sand particles. I added a sock to filter it out, I will see how it works out.

I notice that in most LFS they dont use sand, they use something that looks like small rocks... is that stuff better for home tank vs sand? is that stuff safe for my new Goby?

thanks!

The small rocks substrate is crushed coral...and you don't want that. The sand will be cloudy for awhile, but will clear up over time. Eventually, the goby would have shifted all the dust out the sand.

+2 smitty

Give it a few weeks of being cloudy. But pretty soon, your sand will be pristine! When I had my first diamond goby, he kept my sand clean until he died and my sand got dirty again. A few months later, I got another one, and he's cleaning my sand, so right now, my water is cloudy like yours. Skimmer's skimming away! It'll be worth it :D

Back