Second-hand rock still "live?"

SamandAnne

Reefing newb
Hi,

I just purchased a used 30 gallon-long fishtank from someone who kept it filtered and running, with what was originally purchased as live rock in the tank. We took the rock home in the original tank's saltwater in 5 gallon buckets (no heater or powerhead/water flow or light).

I'm wondering if this rock is still "live;" I didn't notice any life on it while moving it out of the tank. I did see one small, red worm in the sand in the bottom of the tank, which is sitting dry right now until I can buy aquarium salt in the morning (didn't think we'd finish late after the stores closed). The tank has not had fish for one year but was kept running for the rock.

I'm wondering if it is worth it to keep this rock submerged, etc...if it really is live. I notice a lot of people talking about hitchikers and things they can see on the rock...

Thanks for your help. Any advice, if it is "live," of re-starting the tank as saltwater? A time frame it needs to be out of the buckets and into the filled tank?

If it is not "live," I may switch it to freshwater - my original intention until I knew the person had a lot of live rock in the tank.

Thank you!

Yes it is still live. The most important part about live rock is the bacteria, If you saw one worm then there are probably many more.

Thank you! Do you have any idea how long it might last in 5 gallon buckets (no circulation or heater) until I can get the tank itself setup? It's in the water of the tank it came from right now (so far a few hours).

oh by the way most live rock ships in plastic bags inside of boxes that just have damp newspaper around the rocks. If you are going to do a "salt" tank. Just mix up your water and fill the tank. Try to keep the sand wet overnight if possible. add as much water from the buckets that the rock is in back into the tank. Once the rock water and sand are all back into the tank and the filtration is running let it run for a few days then check your water to see if you are going to have a cycle. (probably will) cycle will take from a week to 4 weeks (every tank is different) then you can add a easy hardy fish. Take it slow only add things maybe once a week or every two weeks at first. Go slow only bad things happen fast in a fish tank.

Thank you! Do you have any idea how long it might last in 5 gallon buckets (no circulation or heater) until I can get the tank itself setup? It's in the water of the tank it came from right now (so far a few hours).
overnight should be no problem. If you want you could add a airstone just for water movement or a powerhead. To be honest I wouldnt worry about it.

Welcome to the site Sam and Anne.
If you'll do regular water changes in the buckets with the rock,you can keep them cooking ( so to speak ) until you have the tank ready.It'll also help keep you from having a cycle once the rock goes back in the tank.

Great, the water changes idea sounds good, too. I had another question about the rock....the tank stand is the type that has a hole in the top surface...so the stand is a frame at the top that the tank rests on. It has an undergravel filter, but I was thinking of switching to a power filter. Would it be helpful in supporting the rock to leave the plastic undergravel filter in the tank? But just not hook up anything to run it, and have it covered in sand where there is no rock? I'm wondering if it would help distribute the weight of the rock, since the stand isn't solid.

Thank you everyone for all your help. I really appreciate it.

A lot of people put eggcrate on the bottoms of their sandbeds to avoid scratching/cracking the bottom glass, so the undergravel filter probably would achieve the same thing. Whatever you do though, do no hook it up, they are one of the worst filters you can have in saltwater.

As far as filtration, all you really need is liverock and a protein skimmer. Power filters and canisters can be used, but you have to be cleaning them out at least weekly so that they don't build up nitrates and do more harm than good, IMO it's more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. Skimmers are great because they take the dissolved organics (fish poop, uneaten food, dead stuff etc.) right out of the tank before bacteria can break it down into nitrates. It's a lot more efficient than your standard FW filters.

Oh, and don't forget water flow and the use of RO/DI or distilled water. Using tap water is just asking for trouble.

Good luck!

I'd just remove the undergravel filter completely.Then just work the down into the sand,until its right on the bottom glass.That'll prevent anything from digging it out and causing a rock slide.
If you leave the UG in there,it may keep borrowing snails and worms from getting to the detritus that'll build up under there.
And like Solar said.Your best filtration is going to be the rock and skimmer.Get plenty of flow in there,a good quality skimmer,and your tank will be a whole lot maintance friendly.

Back