Secret to replacing globes ?

Lesely

Reefing newb
hi,
wanting some advice.
I have read numerous times that when people change their globes they often get algae outbreaks and corals showing signs of unhappiness

I really want to avoid these issues.

I am replacing all 8 of my T5's. 4 of them are 9 months old the other 4 are 13 months old (well past due)
How do I do this without problems ?
thanks in advance.

I would change the bulbs over a period of 8 weeks. Do 2 a week until complete. Most people get used to lighting and dont notice much the degradation in bulb quality. So when you change the bulbs this is changing the environment that you have created. Just allowing your tank time to acclimate to the changes should solve any problems.

One thing I've learned with saltwater is slower changes are always better!

I would change the bulbs over a period of 8 weeks. Do 2 a week until complete. Most people get used to lighting and dont notice much the degradation in bulb quality. So when you change the bulbs this is changing the environment that you have created. Just allowing your tank time to acclimate to the changes should solve any problems.

One thing I've learned with saltwater is slower changes are always better!
Thank you !

You can change them all at once. If you do, cut back your photo period by 3 hours. Each week increase it by a half hour until you are back to your normal lighting schedule. That is what Most people do when replacing T5 or MH bulbs.

Back