seeding a refugium

chez

Reefing newb
Question? Has anyone heard of a product called “reef pods”? Well I was told that this is good to seed your refugium, will help grow copepods…then I was told to just pour some DT’s plankton in there and that will do it better. Needless to say I did them both so I guess I’ll see and will update everyone. I also added some macroalgae in there.

Question? Has anyone heard of a product called “reef pods”? Well I was told that this is good to seed your refugium, will help grow copepods…then I was told to just pour some DT’s plankton in there and that will do it better. Needless to say I did them both so I guess I’ll see and will update everyone. I also added some macroalgae in there.

Best bet: Get some rock rubble and a cup of live sand from an established tank (LFS should have it) and put it in the refugium.

For my fuge, I just put in a ball of chaeto in, and within a few weeks, it was throbbing w/ pods...and 8 months later, the pods are still thriving. I think a few came off the chaeto that I got from the lfs. I haven't done anything else special.

+ 1 all of the above. All you really need is some chaeto or live sand/rock. There will be plenty of ponds in them to eventually breed and populate your fuge.

I just bought some chaeto and macro algae from a friend off a local SW club and within days my fuge was crawling with pods.

Back