seeking beneficial macro algaes

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
So, I'm considering ordering from reefcleaners.org... I need more snails anyway, and it could be fun to grow some macro in my sump instead of other stuff. I'd like some species of macro that won't take over everything, but are pleasing to look at. It would be neat if a few of them could be fed to my tang. I've got a ball of chaeto in the sump, but it doesn't seem able to compete for the brown/green algae crap that grows in the display. So, if anyone has suggestions for some good macros to add, or general info (cause I know very little about growing algae intentionally, and a whole lot about growing it on accident!) I'd be grateful for the advice.

Maybe this for your herbivores.

Kelp on Rock, Grape
and this
Saltwater Aquarium Algae for Marine Reef Aquariums: Ulva Lettuce Algae - Aquacultured
and this
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=490+1127&pcatid=1127

And this to breed pods.

Saltwater Aquarium Algae for Marine Reef Aquariums: Maiden's Hair Plant

I personally grow Halimeda (it hitchhiked)...but fish won't eat it. But I think it's kinda cool. From what I understand about this plant It absorbs the calcium from the tank at night (it turns white at night) and then releases it back to the tank when the lights turn on and it turns back to green.

Saltwater Aquarium Plants for Marine Reef Aquariums: Halimeda Plant (Algae)

Last edited:
IPSF has the strombus grazers they are small and breed like crazy in tank and keep tank nice and clean. We have few people in midwest who pass them around and breed them but gotta have a tank with algae issues for them.

Back