seeking start up guidance please

scott alderson

Reefing newb
hey hey cool people. i can only assume folks that love reef tanks must be cool! ok so - can someone lead me to a guide that is understandable as to how to set up a tank and what equipment i need to purchase? here is what i know ----- i already have a 100 gallon rectangular tank and will build my own stand. i live in the tropics and will be harvesting my own sand and rock and capturing my own fish. i live very near the water and will use pristine atlantic ocean water for my tank and do my water changes with the same water hauled to the house from the boat by 5 gallon buckets.

its all seems so widely varying and my brain logic whispers to me that there can't be too too many variation of whats best. skimmers and filters and pumps and lighting? test kits? is there a simple guide to follow and punch list of equipment i need?

any help and sources would be fantastic! thanks so much and cheers!

scott

Also, if you are able to collect, DO NOT put anything back into the ocean. You can introduce parasites and diseases that are not local to your area and devastate the local ecology.

I would get in contact with Richard of Tampa Bay Saltwater. www.tbsaltwater.com
He does this for a living (collecting sand, rock, critters, etc from his lease in Tampa Bay) and can give you the lowdown on collection practices, permits, etc.
Some guys got busted recently for collecting illegally from the florida keys and are going to federal prison.

And also, if you collect sand, rock or water, be sure to do it as far from shore and as deep as practical. Reduces the chances of pollution.

Back