Seen a sea star eat a clam?

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I have a bunch of small hitchhiker clams on my LR that I've found interesting. Would Linckias eat them? Apparently some sea stars eat clams. My question is do all sea stars eat clams? Has anyone seen Linckia eat a clam?

Read more ...

Linkias aren't believed to eat clams. BUT, it's not really known what they eat at all in the first place. Which is why they usually don't survive in captivity. No one has figured out their needs yet.

I know Yote has reported having either a serpent or brittle star eat clams. In general, I don't think many stars would eat them, as most stars live near the bottom of the tank in the sand (not up on the rocks), and are detritivores.

I'm no scientist but these people seem to know what Blue linckia eat: see this ...

I'll assume from that website that Blue linckia might eat a small clam but doubtful. The earlier article just said that a Reticulated Seastar specializes in eating clams.

I think its all really just a matter of chance.We never really know how our animals are going to react in there little watery world.

I'm no scientist but these people seem to know what Blue linckia eat: see this ...

I'll assume from that website that Blue linckia might eat a small clam but doubtful. The earlier article just said that a Reticulated Seastar specializes in eating clams.

"Feeds on detritus and small invertebrates" is extremely broad, that basically means anything. And that's what ALL starfish eat. We don't know what specifically linkias eat in our tanks.

"Feeds on detritus and small invertebrates" is extremely broad, that basically means anything. And that's what ALL starfish eat. We don't know what specifically linkias eat in our tanks.

Good point. What do they mean by "small invertebrates living on algal mats"? Know anyone who has an intentional algal mat in their tank?

Back