Self-contained Algae Scrubber for AIO Tank

BL1

My NanoCube has been doing very well the past couple months but, after the success I've had in such a short period of time with my other scrubber I've decided to build one for my nano. There's some difficulty getting one for a nano since the sump is built in but, I think my plan should work. I went out and bought most of the parts I'll need today.

Scrubbercrop.jpg

Scrubbercrop2.jpg

Scrubbercrop1.jpg

Thanks Cathic, it's gonna take a little while though because I'll be making a custom reflector to fit inside the container and also I'll need to file the acrylic "baffles" by hand to custom fit inside the box to protect the bulbs.

If anyone can suggest a very small 500gph pump I'd appreciate it.

Interesting! I need to build up my motivation to finally build a scrubber for my 90. Show me how easy it is to do!! :mrgreen:

Thanks Cathic, it's gonna take a little while though because I'll be making a custom reflector to fit inside the container and also I'll need to file the acrylic "baffles" by hand to custom fit inside the box to protect the bulbs.

If anyone can suggest a very small 500gph pump I'd appreciate it.

Try a Danner Mag 5. I have had good experiences with Danner pumps.

Koralia makes a nano pump around in that area. Small like my maxi jet as well, I have one.

Are you talking about their pico evolution pumps? If so, I'm planning on getting 2 of them to replace my stock return pumps but, they max out at 300gph. They'd be the perfect size though.

You sure you need a pump that big I am running a mag five on mine and my screen is 11 inches across and I think it is to much flow. It is turned way down.

You sure you need a pump that big I am running a mag five on mine and my screen is 11 inches across and I think it is to much flow. It is turned way down.

The screen is going to be about 6-7 inches across, I'm just concerned with head loss because the way I'll need to be routing the plumbing I'm going to get a bit of head loss.

Could you plumb it external. That way it wouldnt take up space in the tank?

You actually read my mind, as I was posting that last reply I thought about that. That way I can run the line into the tank and just bolt it down onto the stand I'm going to make for the container.

Here's a crappy sketch of my plans.

Scrubberplans1.jpg

The bulkhead will be approx 1.5-2" up to allow the screen to sit in about 1" of water and the screen will be about 1/2" off the bottom of the tank. Originally my plan was to have the bulb coming in from the side, in the middle of the reflector but, I think it will be much less work if I just have the bulb coming in from the lid of the container.

Back