Self-contained Algae Scrubber for AIO Tank

I think I would seal the acrylic sheets to the container and not the lid. It would keep the reflectors dry, and the lid will be easier to remove without the sheets on it.

I think I would seal the acrylic sheets to the container and not the lid. It would keep the reflectors dry, and the lid will be easier to remove without the sheets on it.

That was the plan, I'm going to rough but the acrylic then file it down by hand so that it fits the shape of the container. Then I'm going to silicone the crap out of them, in place to keep the bulb areas as waterproof as possible

That was the plan, I'm going to rough but the acrylic then file it down by hand so that it fits the shape of the container. Then I'm going to silicone the crap out of them, in place to keep the bulb areas as waterproof as possible

Just going by the picture:mrgreen:

How is the pump going to be set up?

Just going by the picture:mrgreen:

How is the pump going to be set up?

Here's where the box is planned on going, I'll be building a stand to fit behind the tank for it to sit on.

DSC_0405.jpg

The pump will be next to the container on the near side with a hose pulling the water from the DT. And the bulkhead will drain back into the DT.

I tried to start drilling the holes for the lights and the bulkhead but, the arbor bit I had for my hole saw didn't fit the new one I bought to drill the holes wasn't the right one. So, I'll have to get a new one tomorrow so I can get this started.

when the power goes back on, if the pump is above water level, it will run dry

the water in it would drain back into the tank and might not get pulled back into the pump when the power goes back on.

if the pump is below the water level, a syphon will keep water in the pump.

pump.jpg

Here is a hi def diagram that I took hours to make:mrgreen:

You could mount the pump on the side of the stand that you are building then once you prime it, it wont run dry.

I didn't get far today but, I finally got the right hole saw and drilled the holes for the piping and bulkhead.

Scrubber4.jpg

Scrubber2.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be trying to drill the holes in the top for the lighting, it's going to be tough since the top is uneven. And I'll be rough cutting the acrylic baffles.

Hey Brian when you get this done you will have to post a full schematic. I really like this idea and my want to incorporate it into my system since we both more or less have the same tank.

Well, there's been no progress whatsoever in the past week. I've cut a few baffles for the container but for some reason, I can not get the angle right on the baffles. And at this point, I'm not sure how I'm going to figure it out without wasting a ton of acrylic :grumble:

Have you thought of making two strips of acrylic about and inch or two wide for each side of the baffle?

It will go
Short strip, full length, short strip

That way you could overlap it a bit and it will give you a flat piece to glue to?
I will draw a picture when I get a chance if you dont follow me.

Have you thought of making two strips of acrylic about and inch or two wide for each side of the baffle?

It will go
Short strip, full length, short strip

That way you could overlap it a bit and it will give you a flat piece to glue to?
I will draw a picture when I get a chance if you dont follow me.
I think I'm a little confused. The thing I'm having trouble with is the sides of the container flare out a little. I made a template from cardboard that fits perfectly but, when I transfer it over to the acrylic and cut it it has yet to fit right.

I finally made some progress today. I found a way to figure out the angles on the baffles, Lowe's had a little magnet-mounted angle finder. So after over a month of trying to figure out how to make these baffles it took me all of an hour to get them done today.

AngleGauge.jpg

Angle_.jpg

I glued and siliconed the baffles in

Baffles.jpg

Baffles2.jpg

And finally I painted the first coat of black paint on it so that it will be completely light-proof.

Painting.jpg

Last edited:
Back