Self observation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by wontonflip, Jan 8, 2009.

1. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

I have had at least 8-10 years experience in freshwater. Then I stopped for a few years...then I became a marine tank keeper. I've been knee deep in saltwater stuff the past 4 months.

And now, I'm starting up a 10 gallon freshwater guppy tank for my daughter...I have NO clue where to begin!! LOL I'm at a complete loss for some reason in getting it started because some of the equipiment is different! I've actually had to go back to this other fw forum I used to frequent and start from scratch.

It's crazy. For some reason now, I keep having a strong urge to make the 10 gallon a reef tank instead, but my daughter doesn't want it, even if I tried to bribe her with a cute li'l goby :) I now find saltwater much easier, mainly because I've got all the equipment and necessary tools already.

That's just me, I guess :mrgreen:

wontonflip, Jan 8, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. wontonflip

daugherty part time reefer

salt is so easy once you get the hang of it. a couple months ago my son won a goldfish at is schools carnivial and i had to set up a tank for him and was at a loss i have not had a fresh tank for 10 or 12 years but i did still have somethings for it i to was lost at first.

daugherty, Jan 8, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. wontonflip

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Glad I'm not the only one! Hehehe. Saltwater really IS easy once you get it all set up.

wontonflip, Jan 8, 2009
  4. wontonflip

dustin_P74

saltwater is the only tank i have ever had, i have grown up around them and now i have my own, no fresh crappy fish for me

dustin_P74, Jan 8, 2009
  5. wontonflip

flojo

i personally hated fish tanks when i saw them because they have always been primarily freshwater and i think theyre boring as hell. when i first met alex and he told me he had a few tanks i was like ugh....great....but theyre incredible. saltwater just poses so much more of a challenge and reward. its incredible to just sit and watch everything. i dont think i could truly appreciate a freshwater still.....just not my thing

flojo, Jan 8, 2009
  6. wontonflip

dustin_P74

man flo, what DID you like about alex when you first met him?

dustin_P74, Jan 8, 2009
  7. wontonflip

flojo

uh well....lets see.....he uh....well mostly....

just kidding. im not gonna lie we both brought a lot of differences to the table and i think thats a good thing, but the core is the same, good hearts and souls..and we think a lot alike and he puts up with me...thats hard to do.

flojo, Jan 8, 2009
  8. wontonflip

cthegame

I had fresh water tanks when i was hibye's age all the way till my 20s. I wouldnt know how to start a fresh water tank now with the salt mentality that i have. Why would i even want to...:)

cthegame, Jan 8, 2009
  9. wontonflip

d2mini VIP Member

Me too.
    I found that if you have the right equipment (of which there is more of), saltwater is easier.

d2mini, Jan 8, 2009
  10. wontonflip

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I had a 55gal freshwater tank for about 2 months.Then a neighbor gave me a 30 gallon with some salt and sand.After that I completely forgot about freshwater.I even have to ask the store owner about the tetras when I help at the store,because I just dont fool with em,and really dont like em.

yote, Jan 8, 2009
  11. wontonflip

Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

I have had several fresh water tanks for over 20 years. I have made a very pleasant profit breeding different types of fresh water angels and supplying LFS in a 100 mile radius of home. So these CRAPPY fish have made it possible for me to get into salt water and a few other interests

Reefrookie, Jan 8, 2009
  12. wontonflip

dustin_P74

that would be because, 90% of the aquarium industry is made up of freshwater. just because alot of people buy them doesnt mean it is any less bland and crappy

dustin_P74, Jan 8, 2009
  13. wontonflip

Reefrookie Not so new anymore! VIP Member

Not quite sure of your point, as usual.

Reefrookie, Jan 8, 2009
  14. wontonflip

dustin_P74

i think my point was pretty clear, but here it is again.

you made money buy selling fish that 90% of the aquarium industry buys, but just because that many people were buying them doesnt not my freshwater fish any less bland or crappy compared to saltwater fish

dustin_P74, Jan 8, 2009
  15. wontonflip

cthegame

I think everyone pretty much knows fresh is more boring than salt. Money is the reason fresh is so big not because people think its prettier.

cthegame, Jan 8, 2009
  16. wontonflip

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

A lot of people that are just starting out,will start with fresh water.Mainly because it *easier* and cheaper.
    AND,If I thought I could pay the bills and buy beans breeding fresh water fish,I'd have a building full of freshwater tanks.Even though I dont care for em.
    But everybodies different.Thats what keeps life from being boring.

yote, Jan 9, 2009
  17. wontonflip

cthegame

nicely put yote

cthegame, Jan 9, 2009
  18. wontonflip

Bifferwine I am a girl

I've never had a freshwater tank except for a couple bettas here and there. And do those even count? I jumped straight into saltwater because, like others have said, I found freshwater fish boring and colorless. Not to mention the allure of corals -- the most diverse and colorful creatures you can keep in saltwater. I've never seen a freshwater tank that I went all, "OOOOH! AAAAAH!" over. Never. But I see pics of saltwater tanks that elicit that reaction from me on a daily basis.

Bifferwine, Jan 9, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question