Selling Tank Price Questions

What should I ask?

• Total voters
Hmm this is a toughie. Especially since I'm in the market for a new tank now anyways, and not finding anything that is right for me from Craig's List, my LFS, or my local reefing club!

To me, the biggest thing about buying your tank would be that it's not drilled/reef ready. I know it's probably just me, but I don't think I want to buy a tank that's not already drilled, period. If you buy it and try to drill it yourself and it cracks, you are out a ton of money. And after having a drilled tank, I don't ever want to go back to an overflow box like my old 55 had.

My LFS is expensive for new tanks. They quoted a brand new, drilled 75 gallon tank at $300+.

Because your tank is not drilled (and that is a very important aspect to me), I wouldn't pay more than $600 for it. But for someone that it being drilled isn't a primary concern, I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to pay much more for it.

Im probably going to list it for 650 locally. But I would deliver it anywhere along the I90/I80 from buffalo to Angola IN for 800 as it would be convenient for me.

It is a plywood box that is covered in a resin of somesort, fiberglass fabric is wet-set into the resin then two more layers of epoxy cover that. Then you lay your glass in and silicone it in. That is the basic jist of it.

400 would be the upper end. tanks are sort of like cars, the minute they are out of the store the price decreases drastically. normally on a used tank its .50 per gallon, yep .50 cents, and if new a dollar a gallon. so if you can get 400 or more you are doing very good. the best price will come from someone looking for that tank. so I would advertize it and and stipulate best offer with a retainer/or minimum. good luck, oops!! acrylic you can double my figures. 5 to 6 hundred would be a good asking price. good luck.

Last edited:
Keep it and save your money for a while. Then use it as a sump for the 450.
600+ gal.

Would personally only pay $400. But I am a tightwad!

Back