Serious diatom outbreak

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys I have a serious diatom outbreak. I'm sure it's due to my use of tap water. My RODI unit should be here today or tomorrow Question one is what is the largest water change I can do at once? I want to do a 50 percent water change once a week for a month. How long before my bloom should start decreasing and I know if I need to continue troubleshooting or not?

IMO to much water being pumped out of your system. I would do a little bit of water each day like 15%. Thats just me. I feel like to much water being pumped out eliminates the good bacteria needed to keep ammonia and nitrates down.

I would get some more advice on that you don't want to go into a mini cycle.

How long have you had the tank up? Has it fully cycled?

Last edited:
I can do a daily water change? I've read from several sources that is a myth. That the amount of beneficial bacteria in the water versus what is on the rock is fine do as large a water change as you want. That if you compare what's in the water to what's n the rock what is in the water is minuscule

Last edited:
You could do daily water changes, but make them small like has been suggested. The reason you dont want to do big water changes is that you will end up very rapidly changing the systems parameters, which isnt good for our critters. Smaller changes have less of an impact and are much gentler.

So other than my daily water changes is there anything else I should do for this diatom outbreak? I also converted my fluvial filter over to a chaeto refugium. Should I just continue the water changes till the diatom is gone?

I have been doing daily water changes to get the tap water replaced with ro water. How do I know when to stop with the daily water changes? I have also been doing daily water changes to increase the salinity too though

Yes well I think the new pumps I got to circulate the bottom of the tank will help too. As soon as I turned them on my aquarium INSTANTLY got cloudy with detritus from the bottom. Lol

Back